Very general optics info request

ATH

I just got a Sendero in 300WinMag and am debating what I need in terms of optics for it. I know very little about the ins/outs of various bases/rings. I plan to use it for hunting to 600 and paper to 1000 yards...what type of rings and bases should I be thinking of?

Ditto for a scope. Though I want target turrents, I'd also prefer something with references (Mil-Dot or B&C type) for quicker acquisition in hunting situations, if need be. Power must be variable. What should I be considering here?

For all parts of the setup, I want to maximize quality and performance without paying more for the optics than for the gun. A law of diminishing returns applies, and I'm not quite as into LR as a lot of you guys so I can do without absolute top of the line when it costs $300-400 more for a modest improvement.

Thanks in advance!

ATH... your question(s) would require volumes just to scratch the surface... but a good starting point for discussion would be a nice Leupold in the 4.5-14x50 or 6.5-20x50 power range, depending on whether you're leaning more toward the hunting end or toward the target end... weaver/picatinny type bases & rings of good quality are a top choice... "MAY AS WELL DROP THE PHRASE = MORE FOR THE SCOPE THAN FOR THE RIFLE"... you'll at least have the equivalent cost in a good scope setup for a Sendero... "rifles come & go" but a good scope is hard to part with... in any case, there will be dozens of "opposing viewpoints" for you to ponder for awhile... whatever you do, don't be suckered in to buying inferior optics & avoid the phrase "it's a good scope for the money"... that money would've been better spent towards a good scope setup... be patient... go slow... the cheapest base/ring setup would be something in a Weaver type & the top end would be the tactical (Badger; Nightforce; Leupold; et al)...hope this helps... Larry

i agree with larry, save up and buy the best optics you can, maybe you don't need to go NF or S&B, but get a good leupold mk4 or vx-III, and you wont be sorry.
good luck

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not quite as into LR as a lot of you guys so I can do without absolute top of the line when it costs $300-400 more for a modest improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]
Consider the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 with Mildot reticle, Burris one piece base and a set of Burris Signature rings with the .010 or .020 inserts. This package will more than meet your needs and allow for more usage of your elevation adjustment for the times that you do want to stretch out your useable range. Check here for a great price and fantastic service. We have this same set up on a .338 win mag and are very satisfied with it so far.

And I also agree that you may want to consider rethinking the value of a good scope. You dont need to spend too much but you never want to spend too little.

The Buckmaster doesn't have target turrets, does it?

Taking suggestions, I've looked around and the ideal thing I've found is the Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X50, MilDot, M1 turrets. It runs about $1000 everywhere I looked. I liked having the turrets with references and the magnification range. Any suggestions on similar scopes that might give me a little more bang for my buck would be appreciated. (I don't want to get overly cheap of course, but you guys know what is quality better than I).

go with the mk4, and try to find one used for sale. they come up quite a bit....keep an eye on ebay, I got mine mk4 4.5-14x50 m1, brand new off ebay for $800.

good luck

I would not spend $800 on used MK 4 when you can buy a used NF for same money.

Look at the Nikons with target turrets for now or an IOR with MP8 reticle. IOR has more/better adjustments than Lupys and better glass IMO.

BH

The Buckmaster does have target turrets. The ones on the 4.5-14 aren't as tall as some turrets out there, but they are full featured turrets. I have been very happy with mine.

Good luck with your decision,
Carl

ATH... I "warned you" there'd be lots of good ways to go in your scope quest... of everything said so far, I would agree with you on the Leu Mark 4 or a VXIII... they are magnificent when compared to cheaper stuff... if you have the time & patience, you should try to find a good deal on a used one, as mentioned by someone here...(don't forget the Leupold lifetime transferrable warranty); also the importance of a quality ring/base selection & proper "install"... you'll be happy for a long time!

Like Zingodingo said the Buckmaster has some shorty target turrets that look real clean and function like a dream. The Paralax adjustment is mounted with the turrets as well.

I don't have any experience with the Leo mark but I have a VXIII 4.5x14x40 with AO on the obj bell on my .308 and it is a winner. We were looking for a very close equivalent to this for my bros .338 and the Buckmaster came highly recommended so we went with it. You can also get a 4" aluminum sunshade for it at a very good price.

I will say however, that whatever rifle I build next, it will be wearing a Nightforce 5.5x22x50 with a 30mm tube. So many great choices and so little money.

Lots of good ideas here. Look at what you have to spend and get the one that you think is the best in that range. Leave some moola for good mounts. The best scope won't do you a bit of good if you can't count on it staying put when the shootin' matters.

Good luck on the hunt. Let me know if you have any other questions on the Buckmaster. Or better yet, give the folks at The Optic Zone a call. They post here every now and then and they can answer any model specific questions you have that don't get answered here.

I've looked at the IOR and it looks very similar to the Leupold Mk4 in most respects. Just to clarify, all the Buckmasters have markings on both turrets? Pics on some sights clearly show the graduations but not others. Shorter turrets are actually great as long as they're otherwise functionally equivalent--less to snag on.

My only question is what am I giving up with the price? That's a sub-$300 scope compared to the others at $900-$1000. Any other major differences between this vs a tactical scope, aside from the 1" tube? For my purposed (daylight target shooting, normal hunting), is a 1" tube that much of a problem? I'm really leaning this way as I'm seeing good reviews on it so I'm not too concerned about ending up with a crappy scope. After I make the house down payment next year if I decide to upgrade to a $1000 scope, at least I'll have had a year of enjoying the gun with a decent scope (vs the current $60 on my shelf) and I'll have a Nikon good enough to put on another gun.

For example, a tactical Nikon is around $800, or 3X the price. The obvious differences are apparently more graduations on the turrets, 50mm objective, and 30mm tube. For my purposes, do I really need these features?

Heck, while I say I want to target shoot out to 1000yds, right now I don't even have that kind of range available except maybe 1X per year.

I looked at the Burris Signature rings with inserts...recommendations on where to buy? .010 or .020 inserts? Single piece Burris base ok?

Sorry for all the ?'s, I'm just about convinced myself to pull out the card and put in an order...an unshot gun is a crime! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'm not an expert, but the 30mm tube will be a little brighter and have more internal adjustment for "dialing up".

If you don't want to spend the money right now thats fine, I'm sure if you take care of a $300 scope it will last you a lifetime. I have killed a lot of things looking through a 1" $100 scope, now it may not be quite as satisfying, but it definatly gets the job done!!

Houses are more important than scopes(i can't believe I jsut said that) so buy your house, and get your high end glass later on. I've looked through some lower line leupolds and nikons, and they are pretty clear.

have fun with your decision...

oooorrrrrrrrrr.....you could just take a little cash out of your mortgage and buy a NXS and S&B to celebrate the new house purchase /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif nevermind........

ATH... you forgot to mention the most important "feature"... the "lenses"... all the other features are irrelevant with less than quality lenses...the only advantages of 30mm over 1" tube = 1) stronger tube 2) more elevation adustment... the Burris Signatures have a pretty good reputation, eliminates the need to lap the rings & also protects the finish on the tube somewhat... in any case, have a great time shooting your new rifle... Larry

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.