Question for those who use LRF's

The Oregonian

Some / many have yardage info that compensates for inclination...by that I mean will give you an effective horizontal yardage. Some will give a ballistics solution if the shooter desires it and inputs info into the LRF.

For those who use LRF's without that feature....i.e. that doesn't give info on, or compensate for, inclination, how do you get your solution? Is it using an indicator on the rifle and then using SW or a drop chart?

Reason I ask is that I am looking at LRF's and curious to know what is ahead of me if I choose one without an inclination feature.

The Shooter App has the ability to read inclination from the smartphone. Just lay the smartphone along the angle of the receiver, press a button and Shooter will enter the inclination for you. I guess the second option is to put something on the scope.
I use a 1600-B for inclination.

Now I use a 1600B and a iPhone to overcome the problems you are dealing with.

Before all the fancy stuff I used just a drop chart with the yardage and two rows of come ups. One row was the standard come up shooting level and the other row was the come ups at 20 degrees. Being a builder my whole life determining slope was not that difficult for me but still it was just a guess.

This worked well for me for a few years and when you think of a 10 inch kill zone on a elk there was a little room for error. But now with the high tech stuff you can get it dead nuts. My advice to you is treat the range finder like the scope and purchase the best you can afford. I recommend the 1600B and better yet the G7 BR2 and with either one you will probably never have to buy another.

And yes with the iPhone you can just tilt it to match the slope and read the degrees and go to your drop chart or have shooter do its thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts