For those who have used a Z5 and Z6

The Oregonian

What are your impressions of each?

I think I have narrowed things down to either a 3.5x18x44 Z5 or a 3x18x50 Z6, and get the BT and probably a set of Outdoorsmans turrets.

I may have a hard time finding someone with each in stock but am working to find what I can. Any impressions from comparing the two? Tracking, light, clarity and color, near dark performance?

This will go on a 24" custom 30-06.

Thanks.

I haven't tried the Z6, but I have a Z5 and can offer some impressions.

The glass is great; good color, great clarity, great low-light capability, especially considering that it is a 1 inch tube.

It's also a very light weight scope, especially good if you are counting ounces.

The one thing that might be a drawback is that the turrets have limited range for adjustment. Not surprising for a 1 inch tune, but if you get the Z5 I would recommend that you get the BRX/BRH reticle and plan to hold over rather than dial. If you really want to dial, get the Z6 (but it will be heavier)

FWIW, I called Swarovski today and they said that the only difference between the Z5 and Z6 was the main tube which gives more travel and the HD glass on anything at 15x or more on the top end.

He also said that there is a new style of custom turrets (like Outdoorsmans sells) that is on the way. You can preorder them now thru the factory...undetermined ETA.

I have the 2.5 x 15 z6 44mm with the turret and I love it. Taken deer in low light in Mexico . 2 trips to Africa leopard shot at night . The scope is absolutely perfect.

I've got a Z5 5-25x52 with the BRX reticle on my Tikka T3 .223 Varmint rig. It is mostly used for 100- and 200-yard distances (maybe sometimes 300) thus no worry about vertical adjustment. And the .223 has little recoil so I know it is not getting beat to death. Ideal match and is dead on target, would take it anywhere to shoot. I looked through the Z6 and Z6i and saw little difference as far as optical quality goes. But for nearly a thousand dollars more, I am sure the Z6 is better.

But for the money, the Z5 at $1,680 new is a great deal. I also tried the BT setup with the 5W reticle and it too was nice, but the BRX reticle for target shooting is spot on.

Can't compare the two but I have a Z5 3.5-18x44 BT 4W. It is a great scope, very light, very clear and good low light scope especially for a 44mm objective. The 50mm of the Z6 might give you a few extra minutes in the morning and evening. I'll be elk hunting this winter in New Mexico and the Z5 will be on my backup rifle (the new March 52mm will be on my primary). The backup rifle is an ultralight rig and the Z5 with Talley mounts really suits this application.

I have a z5 5-25X. Recently I had an opportunity to compare it with a z6 3-18X. I put them both on 18X and tried to read something on a target 100 yards away. I couldn't tell any difference. I asked the owner if he would do the same thing and he agreed he couldn't tell any difference, also.

So for about the same weight and hundreds of dollars less you can get one with more magnification and the same performance.

Just ordered a Z6 2.5-15X56 with 7A reticle - will be here in about 2 weeks from Swarovski.

Can't wait to try it out-anyone else have this model??

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.