Very general optics info request

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an expert,
you could just take a little cash out of your mortgage and buy a NXS and S&B to celebrate the new house purchase /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Now heres a man thats thinking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
My only question is what am I giving up with the price? That's a sub-$300 scope compared to the others at $900-$1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

In a nutshell, quality.

Do you remember this?

[ QUOTE ]
I can do without absolute top of the line when it costs $300-400 more for a modest improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the sentence in your first post that made me think the Nikon I linked to would meet your other needs. It has a mildot reticle for the purposes you mentioned and with the rings and inserts I mentioned you will be able to adjust your scope to hit the crosshairs at ranges that will exceed the accuracy potential of your rifle. You will have adjustments in a 1" tube that will take that gun out to over 1500 yards.

The Scope I linked to has proper markings on all adjustments available to you. For the price it is a really nice scope. The more expensive ones mentioned are nicer but we can expect this with the prices attached.

Regardless of the scope you choose I would like to offer this humble bit of advice. Don't over analyze your purchase. 30mm tubes are brighter than 1" if the glass and obj are the same. If you compare a 30mm with a 40 mm bell against a 1" with a 50mm bell or the glass in a 30mm is not as nice as the glass in a 1" then all of the comparisons go wonky and you wont know which is better.

Buy the one you like the best and can responsibly afford. Maybe save up if you need to. Go look at whatever scopes you can get your mits on. We ALL have our own opinions but the only one that matters is yours. All of the options given here are good. There are many other options not mentioned too. I really like helping out with these types of questions but I have noticed that your thoughts are getting broader as this post progresses and not narrower as you investigate the options you like.

Here is an idea that might help you. Write down all the features you can think of in a scope and then decide what you require for each one. Then buy the cheapest scope that meets these requirements that you also think has a clear picture. Then you will know you have not over spent for the quality you say you need.

(I'm having a total Deja'vu moment.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I really like helping out with these types of questions but I have noticed that your thoughts are getting broader as this post progresses and not narrower as you investigate the options you like.

[/ QUOTE ]

When people keep adding helpful ideas to my more limited set of knowledge, it creates as many new questions as it answers old ones. The more I investigate, the more questions come up that I didn't think of before. I appreciate the help of course.

If I thought I'd have another gun to use the Buckmaster on later I'd probably go that route for now. But since I've never had many good opportunities to shoot a centerfire (and never yet hunt with one) I'm doubting that would be the case and might go straight to the Nikon 4-16X50 tactical.

Mil dot or Nikoplex? They seem pretty proud of their reticle. Price difference on The Optic Zone site was $60.00.

I haven't had a chance yet to look through a scope with a Nikoplex, but it appears to be a "plus sign" centered in the hairs. I'm not sure I understand what the advantage is supposed to be....so I was looking at the Mil-Dot. I'm going to see if I can find both scopes in person and take a look before I buy anything.

The Nikon Tacticals are hard to find.
The new model is to be out late May-early June and are the same specs as the ones they replace (as I was told by a reputable source).
I looked for a week all over the net and finally found a few! No mildots found though.
FYI 4scopes.com has a few left in Nikoplex for $786 shipped.
So far their service has been excelent.

I just found one (mounted but never shot, original box etc). You're right, that was relatively tough...guess they must be decent...

HOT TIP!!! Find yourself a older Tasco that was made in Japan. You can tell by looking at the eyepiece which has the place of manufacture stamped on it. A good 6 x 24 x 44 has semi target knobs, is quite brite and will get the job done quite well!!!! The tasco's made in Tiwann and China just don't make it in quality.

Just an old guy with a hot tip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.