Replacing a brake?

Conceptually, it's easy.

However, it depends on how it was done the first time around.

If the threads were cut to a good tolerance and you replace it with a brake that also has the threads cut the same, then screw on the new brake with some anti-sieze and work out the timing. Bore, polish, and you're basically done.

Some brakes come pre-bored for a given caliber.

Some people use spaces (washers) on ARs to time the brake to avoid machining. But, you may end up needing a lathe to do a proper job and/or to cut or re-cut a thread releif.

Why are you replacing the brake and was it professionally installed to begin with?

-- richard

How hard is it to replace a brake that has to be timed? Recon the smithing cost would increase a lot?

I would have to say that it is not that hard for a smith to install a timed break but it could be very
hard if you don't have the proper tools.

If you just want a new break and want to install it yourself My suggestion would be to go with a break that doesn't have to be timed.

You could contact someone like Ross Schuler or Ron Bartlett With Vias and have them build one
with the correct threads and tenon length, Plus the correct bore diameter.

Then all you would have to do it screw it on.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks guys! It was done by a good smith, I am just not sure it's the brake for me. Not too much reduction in recoil but fairly quiet in respect to brakes. Time will tell, I was just curious what I would get into if I did want to go another way...

If you get a chance, post a picture of what you have.

I'm curious about the design since it sounds like a dud.

thanks,
richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.