Replacement for 220 Swift

I went with a 22 Creedmoor running 75 gr ELD's and loving it! Hornady is planning to offer production brass someday too! Alpha Brass has been working great for the time being.

I'd vote for the 22 creed, I really like the case shoulder and neck of the creedmoor case.
As far as molly coatings go, I tied moly in the bore. Brownells sells molly bore paste. It was easy to clean the barrels as you weren't laying down copper in between layers of moly, but when the bore ran out of molly my groups went from a 1/2 in to about 3 in.

I own a 9 twist 223, 7 twist 22br and an 8 twist 22-250ai.
Next time around will be a 7.5 twist 22 creedmoor.
It has all the benefits of modern case design and no fireforming, as well as slightly more capacity than the swift.
What's not to like?

I would suggest a 22-250AI you can take 22-250 cases to your next dogtown trip and form them while you are killing. The AI will basically shoot a max load a 220 swift will .

I have one and I'm a fan of it. Mine was very accurate in fire forming with 69 SMK's shooting a .75" 25 shot group at 100 yards.

If you wanted all out crazy then the 22-243AI would be a hot rod for sure but why not go with a 6mm-06AI or 240 WBY running some 105 VLD's to step it up a notch.

I had a 240 WBY and loved it. Wish I had it back and may build another. Mine was running 115 Bergers at 3150 which wasn't a max load with H1000. It held .5 moa out to 600 yards in a standard contour barrel.

There are some problems with your plan that others have not mentioned. Although the bolt face is the same as many other hot rod 22s, the case base diameter is not.

The 220 swift is a rimmed cartridge that headspaces off the rim whereas most other wildcats and standard case bases headspace off the shoulder.

That said, the headspace issue can be handled by a decent gunsmith. As an amateur Smith myself, I wouldn't hesitate to tackle that part of the job. What would stop me cold in the water is the potential feed problems associated with the smaller diameter 220 case. Unless you want to convert the rifle into a single shot, there is no point in changing the headspace method if the new standard diameter case won't feed properly.

DO NOT LET ANYONE tell you that all Remington 700s Short Actions have the same feed rail dimensions. Some do, and some do not. This issue is not well documented. I see it regularly. I would fully expect that an action designed to feed the 220 swift would have narrower feed rail spacing and perhaps even a different axial rail ramp angle. I DO NOT know that for a fact for the 220 swift, but I would fully expect it. I certainly wouldn't chamber a new barrel in a different caliber and change the head spacing without carefully checking that issue.

So, assuming that works, my own preference for rechambering (if that's what you want to do) would be a 22 BR. The 6 & 22 BRs were developed by Remington for Benchrest competition (hence the designation "BR") around the same time that the 6 & 22 PPCs were developed. Although many forum members will take issue with calling the BRs & PPCs "inherently accurate", they would be hard pressed to argue against their overall success in benchrest competition or the relative ease of developing highly accurate loads for them. To be fair, the 22BR is not as fast as the 220 Swift, but it's close enough that varmints will never know the difference. More importantly, the short fat BR case is much kinder to a barrel throat than the swift could ever be.

But that's only if you insist on a new caliber. My personal advice to you is to skip over all those issues and either install a new barrel in 220 Swift or simply set your existing barrel back a half inch or so or whatever is needed to clean up the throat erosion. Better yet, set the barrel back, shoot it till the throat erodes again, and then install a new barrel when needed. There are lots of other advantages too - reloading equipment, cases, and the exotic thrill of the Swift itself!

The Swift was and is a fine cartridge, but with limitations. You said it, it's a barrel burner, if you load it that way. Maybe a different twist and heavier bullets? One thing you need to consider is the bolt face. I can't remember what the Swift takes, but I know the 223 cases are too small. Someone suggested the 22 Creedmoor and that has merit if a hot rod and short barrel life is what you want. I have 3 rifles in the 6 Creed and LOVE them! Mine have an 8 twist and 26" length. They will shoot under 1/2 MOA at least to 500 yards. Have not measured the groups beyond that, but have shoot them at 1000 and they get the job done on steel. They also go to PD towns with me.:cool:

How about a 22 Creedmore in a fast twist? My Swift is a Ruger with a 14 twist. I'd rather have a fast twist but if I change it might be the Ceedmore.

I run an 8 twist 22 Creedmoor and love it. By far my favorite rifle in the safe. With a 22" in barrel, I am running the Berger 80.5gn Fullbore target bullets at 3393fps with Lapua Brass, H4350 and CCI-450's. It is a pleasure to shoot and packs a whallop on the other end. My calling buddy shoots the 69gn Tipped Match King with Varget and is getting 3500+, I just cant recall if his barrel is 22 or 24". With Varget and 55gn NBT's, it runs up around 4,000fps. If you want to run the midrange bullets, I would go with a 9 or 10 twist and shoot the 69-60gn bullets at around 3600-3900.

That is a good idea with him already having brass and load data Etc. I do like my 22-250 AI I'm running the 90 Beger at 3280. And you can get Lapua brass! But you also can with many of the cartridges they have already mentioned.

Just do another swift. Maybe in a 10 twist. So you can shoot 55-70 grain bullets. Or maybe a swift AI

+1
With all of your experience and components with the 220 Swift (Which is hard to beat unless you go to a WSSM short mag) You may have to change out the bolt face because it may be .010 to .013 thousandths larger than the 243/308 case heads. some SAMMI spec. chambers need .383 bolt face diameters so you would have to measure your bolt face to see what you have.

There is also the Texas trophy Hunter (A 6 mm Remington necked down to .224) but it has the same .470 bolt face (Standard). the only real advantage to more case capacity is velocity with heavier bullets and P dogs don't need them.

IF You should have to change bolts to change from the Swift for best function and fit there are lots of choices. if the bolt face is .470, you are good to go with any standard bolt face cartridge.

No need to re invent the wheel unless you just want something different.

J E CUSTOM

I run an 8 twist 22 Creedmoor and love it. By far my favorite rifle in the safe.

I've made a couple 22 Creed's and it's my favorite cartridge. I load up 22-250 Lapua brass and out comes a 22 Creed. I can't say barrel life is all that bad. I've got one with 1500 rounds and it's still as accurate as the first few rounds. That's with 82 grain Bergers at over 3550.

If you have lots of the Swift brass and like the cartridge I'd just make another. If you change it'll cost you more than just the barrel/chamber. The dies, brass, powder to work up loads, etc.

I played with the hot .22s ( I also did the .204, Hornet, K-Hornet, .221 Fireball, 17s) for several years, but used the hotter 22s mostly for coyotes and deer/exotics. I used the Federal Premium load with the 55gr Trophy Bonded for Blackbuck, mule deer, axis deer and coyotes in a .220 Swift (Mod 700 classic barrel set on a Mod 7 action) I then used the 22-250AI in a 9" twist (Hornady 68gr hp), and a 224 TTH in an 8" twist. I used it on coyotes and one huge hog with the 75gr Swift. 6mm brass seems to be unavailable around here anymore though. Have a good smith run a borescope in your barrel to see if its even worth setting back/rechambering/refreshing. It may be "fire-checked" the entire bore. The problem then is you start tearing up your bullet jackets, fouling stays bad, accuracy is shot, they may not even make it to the target! ha. I don't know anything about the 22 Creedmoor, but it "sounds" like a good one to play with! Have a ball pard!

Last edited:
22-6mm is a better cartridge in my opinion, longer neck and better throat life than the 22-243
I have one too, and its one hot .22. Easy to load for and scary accurate. That being said, if I had a do over, I would rather have a 22-250AI or a 22-243AI. One reason and one reason only. Good brass is very difficult to find, and when you do, you better buy plenty. Good brass for 22-250 and .243 are both cheap and easy to find. Seems like every time I need brass, it is for something not currently available.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.