Replace the 300wsm?

Many serious Big Game Hunters USE,.. the .270 WSM with 140 gr. AccuBond's or, 140 gr. Bergers, going 3,200 FPS and the UN-Braked Recoil, IS,..
very, "Manageable" even from, the Bench !
A 140 Berger, Classic Hunter that's, going almost 3,200 FPS, is STILL going, OVER,.. 2,000 FPS at, 800 Yards !
And there ARE, lots and LOTS of, Bullets,.. "Available" !
Nope it's, NOT, 6.5 PRC, "Trendy" but, an Elk or Moose, WON'T know, the Difference at, ANY,.. "Normal", Range.
IF, you, think you, "need" MORE put, a 1-8 Twist Bbl on it and shoot,.. the 165-170's

Last edited:
I'd do a 6.5 PRC.

The SS if you want a 7mm and are OK with the fatter case and less availability. We have a 7 WSM but I think the SS is better.

277 is slim pickings for slippery bullets but that may change in the future with the new Sig Fury & 6.8 Western out if they take off.

As a one gun stable the 300 WSM will be better on tougher critters.

Remember facts and opinions are two different things , my 6.5s have there place , as well as my 30s and everything in between one size fits all don't fit with me.
Agree. With so many great calibers why limit to one. I have certain animals matched to certain guns…in part because they are "best" suited but also for the "just feels right" satisfaction. Have a 6.5x284, 300wsm and stuff on both sides of those. All fun to shoot.

I'd stay with the 300WSM.The WSM cartridges are loaded to high pressure and can produce a little snappy recoil.You can always load it down a little and it's like a 30-06 or a 308Win.

Contemplating replacing my 300wsm with something smaller and even more efficient. Current available offerings in 7mm and .277 Calibers have me searching for a smaller Powder column. Which is the best Cartridge to accomplish this?
I have both and have had the 7mm for awhile and love it. I bought the 300WSM just because I wanted it, not to replace the 7mm. I see no reason for you to replace yours. You've got a great caliber there.

If you'll pardon the sacrilegious expression; you don't NEED a 300 anything to effectively kill - just ask the elk or deer thats's fallen to a perfectly placed arrow. Now that that's out of the way, choose what you want and shoot what you choose well. My 9 year old grandson took a 4x4 Blacktail and a 5x5 bull with his .243 this past year. I moved up the caliber ladder as I grew and I'm finding the joy of shooting increasing as I move back down the caliber ladder as I get older. And my shoulder thanks me.

300 WSM is a great load. No need to change it. If adding to the stable then maybe one of the 6.5's or 7's would be a nice addition. If this is a "one all, do all" then I'd stay with the 300WSM. I have both a 300 and a 7WSM and both are great shooters. Currently building a 7-08 for my lightweight Coues Deer rifle.

Contemplating replacing my 300wsm with something smaller and even more efficient. Current available offerings in 7mm and .277 Calibers have me searching for a smaller Powder column. Which is the best Cartridge to accomplish this?
Replacing the rifle or just a bbl swap?

Consider the 7SAUM.

Last edited:
I'd stay with the 300WSM.The WSM cartridges are loaded to high pressure and can produce a little snappy recoil.You can always load it down a little and it's like a 30-06 or a 308Win.
Yep^^that.
You have a 308/300 win mag, to cover everything except dangerous game. what's not to like.
Probably need to step down to about a 243 to cover the small stuff.
Assuming you have a 223

Stick with the 300WSM…it is one of the premier "everything" caliber. I've got 6.5's, 277's, 284's & many 30 cals….the 6.5 PRC, 6.8 Western & 7mm cals are excellent for shooting in no wind…add 10-20mph in any direction and those rounds require more adjustment to defy what the wind will do to the bullet path to target. For instance, was shooting the 6.8 Western & 300 PRC side by side…same distance (556 yards) wind was left to right (10-15mph). The 300 PRC requires half of dope that the 6.8 Western required to hit the 10 ring (aka…bullseye). When in a hunting situation at any range, the goal is to keep it as simple as possible because the brain can only function or take into account all the variables while the adrenaline is pumping. Each to their own, all calibers have limitations…knowing what those are before hitting the field/mountains will save us all heartbreak or letdown. Another aspect of long range shooting or hunting that we the controller of the tool(s) we use, we as the shooter have limitations that are narrower than the tool that we are using. Ego & Pride cause many shooters & hunters to fail because we are not honest with ourselves about our limitations across the board.

Final thought; if you are comfortable with your current 300WSM and it is working for you…why would you want to change that? "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" New doesn't always mean better, the hype of all the new caliber options is intriguing but that doesn't make them more competent or capable. From my experience of owning all the latest & greatest and being let down because I drank the Kool-Aid may help others to better understand my message.

Good Luck, hope this brings some clarity to your thought process! 😎🤙🇺🇸