Replace the 300wsm?

Wild Monkey

Contemplating replacing my 300wsm with something smaller and even more efficient. Current available offerings in 7mm and .277 Calibers have me searching for a smaller Powder column. Which is the best Cartridge to accomplish this?

Contemplating replacing my 300wsm with something smaller and even more efficient. Current available offerings in 7mm and .277 Calibers have me searching for a smaller Powder column. Which is the best Cartridge to accomplish this?

7SS for a true short action.

Based on your sig line, I'd stay with the .300 WSM. With the right powder/bullet combination, it is a 1KY elk rifle, but that's just me. Good luck!

You will never get a consensus on the best, most efficient SA mag case. Well, a majority may say stay with the 300 WSM. Unless the barrel is toast, like others have said, keep the 300. Compliment it with smaller shorter. The 6.5PRC is fantastic if you can find brass and the 6.8 Western is intriguing. Maybe define the purpose of this rifle, find bullet options in 6.5, .277, and 7mm that meet your needs and are obtainable, and go from there.