Replace the 300wsm?

My grandson hunts whitetail deer with my 270wsm with 130 grain Hornady SSTs. They drop like a rock and the recoil doesn't bother him, even from the lightweight Browning A-bolt. The same rifle in 300wsm is just punishing to the shooter.

If U R not having issues with recoil, there's no real need to go to a smaller diameter bullet, unless you're just bored. The 30 caliber has been a versatile caliber for a century and there are so many quality bullets available, I don't see a need to go smaller. You can kill an elk with a .22, but that's not a good reason to hunt elk with a .22. Which, of course, is illegal, and for a good reason.

I have both and have had the 7mm for awhile and love it. I bought the 300WSM just because I wanted it, not to replace the 7mm. I see no reason for you to replace yours. You've got a great caliber there.
The reason I recommended the 6.5 PRC
I have both and have had the 7mm for awhile and love it. I bought the 300WSM just because I wanted it, not to replace the 7mm. I see no reason for you to replace yours. You've got a great caliber there.

There is advantages of versatility the 6.5 PRC would complement the 300 WSM , in a switch lug , you can change calibers with a Allen wrench and be covered with a variety of powders bullets etc . All else can stay the same Action , mag , scope , stock , trigger 150 .00 for the WTO Lug , a new barrel existing barrel reheadspaced , a 1000 dollars later you have a rifle that covers varmints too Anything on the North American Continent .

I love my 300 wsm if I could only have one gun that might be the one I like a short action. That being said I have been a 6.5 cal guy way longer than it has been the Hot new girl in the block starting with the 264win mag . Then the 6.5 creedmoor for my daughter and granddaughter way better than 243 in my opinion. Then the 26 nosler. The 30 caliber is hard to beat from all around weapon if you're only going to have one gun

You are looking for something with a smaller powder column.

Take a serious look at the 308 Win. You can shoot the same bullets as the 300 WSM. Save a little dinero.

Ya'll caught up on the switch lug is humerous, thats like buying car that can double as a boat….can not and will not do both tasks well. If you are intent on getting a new rifle in a smaller caliber, get exactly what you want and set it up in conjunction to how your 300WSM is set-up…similar velocity and drop charts, main difference is doping the wind by shooting a smaller/lighter bullet. When we try to make one platform do more than what it was designed for….failure can be catastrophic! Gunwerks, Blaser & others have already invented this wheel so that we the consumer do not have too. KISS & you will be happy, any other thought process will be opening Pandora's Box and we all know how that ENDS!?!?!? 😎🤙🇺🇸

Ya'll caught up on the switch lug is humerous, thats like buying car that can double as a boat….can not and will not do both tasks well. If you are intent on getting a new rifle in a smaller caliber, get exactly what you want and set it up in conjunction to how your 300WSM is set-up…similar velocity and drop charts, main difference is doping the wind by shooting a smaller/lighter bullet. When we try to make one platform do more than what it was designed for….failure can be catastrophic! Gunwerks, Blaser & others have already invented this wheel so that we the consumer do not have too. KISS & you will be happy, any other thought process will be opening Pandora's Box and we all know how that ENDS!?!?!? 😎🤙🇺🇸
Is that a opinion , or are you speaking from experience , are you or have you ever built a rifle with a WTO switch lug . If I were too build a dedicated match rifle it would be a dedicated match rifle . I've built a lot of dedicated rifles . The switch lug is simple and allows barrel changes without anything other than a Allen wrench the switch lug replaces the original recoil lug on 700 style actions . I built one on a Curtis Axiom action with the 6.5 prc and 300wsm as my choice of cartridges same mag , and all the rifle shoots .5 moa all day long , now that is the humerous part too me , because I put a lot more effort in most of all my other rifles with no better results . I am speaking from experience with about 4000 dollars invested instead of 8000 dollars.

Nothing ;smaller than .277 & Bolt face won't matter. Availability is the primary concern, only I wanted to go smaller overall. Standard 30-06 length Action if fine.

Lots of good choices. Hard to not Love the 300 wsm. Of you have the itch the 6.8 western looks cool
The 6.8 Western is a good choice. I have a 300wsm and a 6.8 Western. The 6.8 Western with a 165 Nosler ABLR has as more energy at longer distance as the 300wsm does With less recoil. You will not be disappointed with the 6.8 Western. I do like my 300wsm though as well.

Nothing ;smaller than .277 & Bolt face won't matter. Availability is the primary concern, only I wanted to go smaller overall. Standard 30-06 length Action if fine.
Your feed should work the same on the 6.5prc or 300 WSM , also the 6.8 western . I also built a 6.5 PRC on a long action , replacing a 300 win mag works perfect , allows seating long heavy monos with the faster than the 1-8 twist.

Is that a opinion , or are you speaking from experience , are you or have you ever built a rifle with a WTO switch lug . If I were too build a dedicated match rifle it would be a dedicated match rifle . I've built a lot of dedicated rifles . The switch lug is simple and allows barrel changes without anything other than a Allen wrench the switch lug replaces the original recoil lug on 700 style actions . I built one on a Curtis Axiom action with the 6.5 prc and 300wsm as my choice of cartridges same mag , and all the rifle shoots .5 moa all day long , now that is the humerous part too me , because I put a lot more effort in most of all my other rifles with no better results . I am speaking from experience with about 4000 dollars invested instead of 8000 dollars.
To answer the question, I do not build rifles. That is not my forte', applaud you for the ability to do what it is that you were able to accomplish. From my perspective as a back-country to the plains hunter & all over the world, each of my rifles are tuned specifically for the environment & different sized game. Wasting meat or ruining a cape with a marginal shot is something I'm not willing to sacrifice. Each to their own but I believe that a rifle should shoot one caliber, to many moving pieces & opportunities for something to fail. For instance, when I'm 15-20 miles into the back-country on foot & something fails…can't just go back to the truck, bench, etc to retrieve another barrel or rifle. 6.8 Western is a fantastic round, excellent caliber for most big game. Custom builders are starting to adopt this caliber into their portfolio. 6.5 Creed/PRC have endless amount's of support & knock em' clean off their feet. $4000 or $8000 is all in the eye of the beholder, I have zero problem with the higher amount if it is fully turn key and has the stamp of a well renowned custom gun builder who guarantee's a half inch with factory or handloads.

That's the reason I have this 6.5Prc switch lug specifically tuned for Hammer bullets . , but in case I want too use the same plat form action , stock , trigger scope etc for a different game species I can switch too the 300 WSM . I do have other rifles , but wanted too do something different , turned out better than all expectations.