Removing invector choke, replacing with rem choke…? Is it possible?!

Groot

As the title says I'm looking for more work for myself in potentially cutting off the invector choke system in my weatherby sa-459 turkey and rechoking to rem choke.. right now I have two dedicated turkey guns (occasionally predator/deer), a rem 870 and the weatherby. I'd like to run through the gauntlet of buying several aftermarket choke tubes and patterning with each in a few different types of shells. I was in the process of ordering two of each brand/type but then realized what if I choked them the same. So here we are. I have far more rem chokes than win/invector chokes so I'd like to stick with that if possible..

The weatherby barrel is chrome lined so I'll also be looking to remove that before rechoking.

Is it possible?? Any foreseen issues y'all can think of? Any tips or suggestions on how to remove the chrome from the majority of the choke length?

Also, I have a rem choke reamer ordered through 4D and will have that whenever they get it back in stock and out to me. It's been about a month since the order and they quoted roughly 28 days.

As the title says I'm looking for more work for myself in potentially cutting off the invector choke system in my weatherby sa-459 turkey and rechoking to rem choke.. right now I have two dedicated turkey guns (occasionally predator/deer), a rem 870 and the weatherby. I'd like to run through the gauntlet of buying several aftermarket choke tubes and patterning with each in a few different types of shells. I was in the process of ordering two of each brand/type but then realized what if I choked them the same. So here we are. I have far more rem chokes than win/invector chokes so I'd like to stick with that if possible..

The weatherby barrel is chrome lined so I'll also be looking to remove that before rechoking.

Is it possible?? Any foreseen issues y'all can think of? Any tips or suggestions on how to remove the chrome from the majority of the choke length?

Also, I have a rem choke reamer ordered through 4D and will have that whenever they get it back in stock and out to me. It's been about a month since the order and they quoted roughly 28 days.
Seems like a lot of work - the two guns are most likely going to pattern differently with identical chokes - they are impacted by barrel ID and throat lengths and restriction differences. Is it really worth the effort? You'll still have to pattern them both.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the chokes after what I've read and understand about running TSS. Use IC or skeet and hammer away with TSS. You'll be able to afford it because of all the $$ you saved by not hacking on your guns and buying chokes.

It's possible, and if you're okay with losing a couple inches of barrel length and know what you're doing it might not be a complete waste of money. With turkey chokes running $50-100 only having to buy one of each to pattern both guns will probably save you some money. If you're paying a gunsmith to do it it's probably not going to be worthwhile. You'll need to cut off the existing choke area, square off the end, and ream and tap the barrel. I'd either use a hone or an adjustable reamer I don't particularly care about to remove most of the chrome lining where I'll be cutting with the choke reamer, or just use a carbide reamer.

Thanks all, thats likely what I'll do. I realize they won't pattern the same more than likely. I was just hoping to avoid buying 2-3 rem chokes ($200) and 2-3 (200 bucks) win chokes to see which patterned the best out of each gun. I'm generally not interested in using tss, I can't justify 10 bucks a shot when I can get lbxr, or even cheaper shells to get me to 40-45 yards which is all we should need. Even though the patterns and performance of tss outclasses anything else. If I were to start taking 20, 28, or 410 for turkey then it would be a different story

No offense - but I think you're missing the point in the choke discussion - shoot shot that isn't choke sensitive, relatively speaking = where relatively means that the pattern you're looking for at 40 yards can be had at 60+ yds with no effort besides buying the ammo. If you want to beat your wallet and brain to use lead, go for it. I wouldn't waste the time or money. Definitely your call - who cares what I think??

No offense - but I think you're missing the point in the choke discussion - shoot shot that isn't choke sensitive, relatively speaking = where relatively means that the pattern you're looking for at 40 yards can be had at 60+ yds with no effort besides buying the ammo. If you want to beat your wallet and brain to use lead, go for it. I wouldn't waste the time or money. Definitely your call - who cares what I think??
I value your opinion bigdon, I hope I didn't make it seem that I didn't. Buy two choke tubes, or buy two boxes (of 5) tss and be even, and then buy a couple more boxes of tss to hunt with that year. Are you saying that tss generally doesn't care what choke it's shot through? As in choke insensitive is I think what you said. I have a few card chokes that are 640, I doubt they are tss rated. A couple 660s, a 665, these are likely not rated for tss either, and a standard modified choke.

I value your opinion bigdon, I hope I didn't make it seem that I didn't. Buy two choke tubes, or buy two boxes (of 5) tss and be even, and then buy a couple more boxes of tss to hunt with that year. Are you saying that tss generally doesn't care what choke it's shot through? As in choke insensitive is I think what you said. I have a few card chokes that are 640, I doubt they are tss rated. A couple 660s, a 665, these are likely not rated for tss either, and a standard modified choke.
Find the TSS thread from last month - tons of info. Will definitely give you confidence. That thread will show that IC and skeet chokes are the choice - and the Tungsten just isn't choke sensitive - It wants to fly straight. When you see the pattern photos you'll be amazed. At the very least - don't cut your gun until you've read the thread. You'll be sorry. By the way - I'm not so sure that the chokes need to be 'Tungsten rated' based on what I read in the thread. Steel has to be rated for sure - but TSS is completely different.

I think the effort and risk are certainly not worth it. There are many chokes manufacturers and chokes that I confident you can find what you are "hunting"