Removing a Rem. Barrel

scpaul

I'm going to be removing a Rem.78 30-06 barrel that has been on this action since at least 1981/2. I bought it used. It has been camo painted several times over the years. I'd like to remove the barrel myself but don't have any tools except a Savage action wrench that I don't think is going to help. Is there a way to do it with common tools. I have a very large selection of hand tools small torchs, vises, etc. I don't want to damage the action where it isn't accurate but a few scratches arent a worry. The barrel will probably become a ground rod, tomato stake, or an anchor to straighten a tree so I'm not too concerned about it. Any advice?

I'm going to be removing a Rem.78 30-06 barrel that has been on this action since at least 1981/2. I bought it used. It has been camo painted several times over the years. I'd like to remove the barrel myself but don't have any tools except a Savage action wrench that I don't think is going to help. Is there a way to do it with common tools. I have a very large selection of hand tools small torchs, vises, etc. I don't want to damage the action where it isn't accurate but a few scratches arent a worry. The barrel will probably become a ground rod, tomato stake, or an anchor to straighten a tree so I'm not too concerned about it. Any advice?
Paul Hope that you and your family are doing well and in good health.
If you don't care about the barrel you can just put in a table vise, but you really need and "ACTION WRENCH" not to damage the Action. There is an internal tool that fits into the action where the bolt lugs fit and then there is also a Wheeler Action Tool that fits on the outside of the Action.
See #7 or #8 post.
Maybe you can borrow from someone in your area. If not let us know and maybe we can help you.

Len & jill

Thanks Coyote, if I have a problem I might have to make that long scenic trip to Social Circle. I'm talking about 378. I haven't been down that way in years and it's alot nicer than I-20. I'm just trying to plan some activities for the next few weeks.
Thanks Again, Paul

Thanks Coyote, if I have a problem I might have to make that long scenic trip to Social Circle. I'm talking about 378. I haven't been down that way in years and it's alot nicer than I-20. I'm just trying to plan some activities for the next few weeks.
Thanks Again, Paul
Would be glad to help you out. Can send you a Wrench if you can't get one locally or stop by some time.

I pulled a factory barrel from 700 SPS for 300WSM build and it was like little pressure and spun off easy peasy.!

Then:

Anybody recall the joy I had removing a 700 barrel for .270TH build?
Barrel vise✅
Wheeler action wrench✅
4' cheater bar✅
MAC gas✅
Kroiled for a week✅
21/2 lb anvil hammer✅
Jim Beam✅

I tried everything from beating crap out of it, bent schedule 80 4' pipe putting pressure on it, MAC gas torch heat and could not get it off. I finally brought rifle to Mark Penrod Penrod Precision. It took extraordinary amount of effort to remove. We found out previous build used thread locker. It worked great!🤬

The Savage action wrench will work on a Remington, they are the same outside diameter. You don't care about the barrel so put it in a vice and have at it. You can relief cut the barrel just in front of the action with an angle grinder/cut off wheel or a hacksaw if it comes to that.

Would be glad to help you out. Can send you a Wrench if you can't get one locally or stop by some time.
I appreciate it and maybe I might take you up on it, but like I said it's been a while since I got out much. 378 still goes near Social Circle or am I confused on that too. In light of my recent memories I'm guessing that it's 378. I think that before I 20 that was the way to Atl. Right?

I have the tools to cut the wooden blocks to fit into my vise. I have one of the old ones that turn around horizontally but rotates the jaws around 360*. The fact that the action wrench will work makes me feel better. I thought both being 2 lug bolts, I was hoping.

I found a length of old lead pipe that I cut to use as extra barrel grip for vise. Too bad AFTER my fun with .270TH build. The lead conforms to any barrel contour and just provides better grip. When it breaks down, some great jig material!

I appreciate it and maybe I might take you up on it, but like I said it's been a while since I got out much. 378 still goes near Social Circle or am I confused on that too. In light of my recent memories I'm guessing that it's 378. I think that before I 20 that was the way to Atl. Right?
Don't know 378 there is a 278 that runs Parrell with I-20 but a lot of stop signs, lights, two lane and no passing. I-20 is the way to go.