remingtons 700 cdl

interstate1

purchased a 300 remington ultra mag in febuary and dont know how bad itll be for a mule deer and whitetail for i have aquired both tags. does any one have any experience with this.

purchased a 300 remington ultra mag in febuary and dont know how bad itll be for a mule deer and whitetail for i have aquired both tags. does any one have any experience with this.
Other than perhaps a once of a lifetime grizzly hunt there's nothing in N. America I wouldn't feel comfortable taking out to 1,000 yards with a .300 Rum.

Get out and shoot it and see how accurate it is. Some of the CDL's will shoot very well right out of the box and some will need some accurizing.

Pick two or thre loads with different bullets and see what it shoots best.

If you can consistently shoot 1.5MOA or better then you should have good confidence to at least 600-800yds with the right glass and some practice.

the .300RUM is my "go to" shooter. I've had several, and built a few. My current rifle likes (loves) the 168VLD from BERGER, used it for everything from coyotes to Elk out to 830 yds. works VERY well. Had the best luck with H-1000 in all of 'em so far.

If I had to get rid of all my guns except one, I'd keep my 300rum. 30 cal is one of the best suited cals out there, IMO. Not to say others won't work well. With a 30 cal light or heavy bullets work. I know folks who take 338's mule deer huntin which I think is a bit more than is needed.

Wildrose said it very well too.

I'd have to say that an up close shot would be devastating to a deer but at least it would be dead. Thats for sure. But it will handle deer way way out there very well also. GL and keep us informed

My accurized 700 also loves the 168 gr bullets. Particularly the A-Max. Loaded on the milder side they're actually not too hard on the shooter. I just finished working up an elk load for her. A stiff charge of RL22 and a 180 Partition shot 3/8" @ 100 yds for the honor of going to Colorado.I've shot whitetails and woodchucks with mine. Use a well constructed bullet at reasonable velocity and they don't destroy any more meat than say a 270 Weatherby I had. Any rifle loaded with an inappropriate bullet will give poor results on light game. 300 RUMs are versitile user friendly and accurate. Not especially brutal, but you will learn to manage some recoil. Full house 200gr or heavier loads are attention getters. Good luck and good shooting gun).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.