Remington VSSF factory stock quality

G

I would appreciate feedback on the standard factory stock quality and accuracy ability of the Remington VS.
Thanks in advance.

...if you already own the h-s precision stock, be sure to skim bed the aluminum bedding block; if you're thinking about buying a stock, buy the McMillan instead...they're well worth the price....jmo

APB
I have a REM 700 VSSF in 22-250. I like the "stock" stock very well. It isn't the soft flexable plastic like a lot, it is hard and rigid, inspires a bit more confidence. On one outing I had to remove the action in the field. I was worried about gettting back to zero. When I tested it, 3 out of 4 prarrie dogs agreed that it was good enough
grin.gif

I believe that Bell & Carlson made the one that I have. I heard that Remington went cheap for a while then came back to B&C.

[ 07-17-2004: Message edited by: RBrowning ]

APB ,
My VSSF had hairline cracks through the butt from new . Because I bought the rifle second hand (it had fired only 60 shots) I couldn't go back to Remington for warranty . I faxed HS Precision and they didn't even bother to reply . NOT HAPPY !
mad.gif

Had it repaired by Corporal Trading in Queensland and it has been good since .
Get yours skim bedded and hopefully it will be o.k. .Bedding block doesn't bear evenly on the tang or around front action screw without bedding .
As far as standard accuracy is concerned I've read as good as 0.25 inches , my .22/250 shot 1.25 inches with everything until I rebarrelled it with a Tobler .

[ 07-19-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

I build a lot of stocks and have preferred building from Richards Microfit blanks. The laminated look is appealing to me, though a bit heavy to some. The main reason I suggest building is so the rifle can be built to you. By building, you have the opportunity to remove a lot of (human error) ergonomic factors. By making the rifle an extension of your body, you can pick it up and need to adjust nothing! By doing this, you know in an instant whether the bad shot was your fault or not. The good shots almost always increase, or at least have done so with the ones I've built (customer feedback). I also pillar bed almost everything I build and use steel pillars that I make myself. I use only Probed 2000 epoxy for the action, and usually use acraglass for the barrel channel with at least .012 clearance free float. Plus mixing dye with the acraglass makes it look really sharp on the stock. Don't see many reports on Richard's Microfit, but I've been using them for years and love em. They don't shrink or expand from extreme temperature deviation, they're waterproof, and have impressed 100% of my customers.

my factory VSSF in 220swift (with the B&C stock) has gone into the .1's when I was shooting well,..and .25moa is nothing to be suprised at.

My Rem. vssf in 308 shot nicely out of the box in 1999. Best 5 shot groups were 1/2" at 200yds a few times with hand loads. 300yd best were 1" or a little more. Didn't shoot it beyond 300yds tho, but I was pleased given I was new to the game. I'm assuming that was good performance for a factory varmint. I don't think they make it in 308 anymore. Too bad. I'd get another one since I had to sell it last year.

Ok new Remington on the market.The 700 lightvarmint called 700LVSF 6 3/4 pounds 22"BBLMedium Contour and is fluted Black composit stock with semi Beavertail fore end Remington r3 recoil pad.Stainless stell pillerbedded.Looks good,but lately Remington has had quality control problems,is that true? Figure I might want it in 223,22" BBL 300yd yote and sqirlle rifle.Is this a good rig?
confused.gif

...to be honest, every h-s stock I've looked at was disappointing.... no two of them are the same, they all have visible surface "flaws" which causes me "no confidence" on the internal structure... when commiting to re-stocking a varmint rifle, you must "believe" you've used components which won't "haunt you" later.... just my "subjective" opinion... go with "McMillan" and no worries!

Aussie:

I think the one poster is a bit mis-informed, but it could be me! I am almost certain that the Rem varint synthetic is an HS precision and has always been an HS precision. Macs are better so they say but they are also more expensive.

The US Army sniper rifle is a rem 700 long action chunked into a HS precision stock, not exactly the same as the rem varmint but very similar.

I have 2 HS stocks and like them very much. But then again I have never owned a Mac nor could afford one.

Good luck.

But hey... that fellow on another thread was complaining about his HS rifle that would only shoot in the .3's

Oh my! Wish I had such problems!

It varies. I've had 3. One VSSF and one Sendero SF were real good. The other Sendero SF, a .25-'06, had a bubble on one side under the forend that pressed against the barrel.

Make sure you're barrel is really free floated or really has contact, halfway in between sucks.

I've had real good luck with HS Precision stocks I've ordered directly from them.

Iron Worker,

I think the Remington 700 Light Varmint looks really sharp, and I love the Remington 700 rifles (I own 3). I have heard tales over the last couple of years of quality problems with Remington, but my rifles do fine. My son has a 700 ADL Synthetic in .223 which is a good shooter.

I was wanting to get a lightweight varminter and was looking at the Remington. I tried one at Bass Pro Shop a couple of weeks ago, and when I unlocked the bolt and started to pull it back, it would stick - very noticable. I expect a LOT more from a $700 + rifle. I also wanted a faster twist than Remington's 1-in-12 so I could shoot longer ranges with heavier bullets.

I started looking at the Savage 16FSS and was leaning that way until someone mentioned the Tikka T3 Lite Stainless. The Tikka has a 1-in-8 twist, looks good, has a good reputation for accuracy from what I've heard, and has a user tunable trigger from 2-4 lbs. After I looked into the Tikka, I finally decided to order one. They are kind of hard to come by this time of year, but I hope to have one soon. The price for the T3 lite stainless is around $500.

BTW, I have a Remington 700 VS with the H-S Precision stock, and I really like the stock. Fit and finish is great and it seems to be very well made. I just recently ordered a Bell and Carlson Carbelite Classic stock for my Remington 700 ADL and sent it back. The front bolt hole didn't line up, the fit and finish were unimpressive, and the bolt handle rubbed against the stock. I was expecting it to be stiffer and lighter than the factory ADL stock, but it was neither.

I agree with others that the McMillan stocks are awesome, but you do have to pay for that quality. People always tell me this stock or that stock is as good as a McMillan for half the cost, but I am always disappointed. One of these days I'm gonna spring for a McMillan.

Iron Worker,

Another good choice IMO would be the CZ 527 Varmint Kevlar. The standard 527s are 1-in-12 twist, but the varmints are 1-in-9. The mini mauser actions are good, and it has a detachable mag. They are also fairly light for a heavy barrel varminter.

[ 08-23-2004: Message edited by: Mike in NC ]

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.