Remington's Quality Issues......Please inform me.

Re: Remington\'s Quality Issues......Please inform me.

So... is 'Renae' someone to be listened to? Front-line (i.e. low pay) tech support who may or may not know which end of the barrel a bullet comes out of?

Just because you contact company X and whoever it is that answers the phone/email that day says 'Of course not. We would never do that!' or 'We do it this way because we have our customers best interests at heart!' does not always mean it is so. What the heck else do you think they are going to say? 'Yep, you're right. We tried using a cut-rate supplier to maximize profits while selling at the same price to the end user. Sorry, won't happen again.'

Maybe I just have a bit too much skepticism for my own good, but I take what the first tier phone/email people tell me w/ a grain of salt (regardless of company/industry). They may be extremely active and knowledgeable in the field, but more often in my experience they are reading from a script of frequently asked questions and the corporate-approved answers.

YMMV,

Monte

Bottom line is that they DID use Bell and Carlson's for a while and have switched back to HS. There is a definite difference in the contours of the two stocks, even tho from a distance they might look similar. Does it amount to a hill of beans, only to some.
My opinion of Rem. triggers is that they justify putting on Jewels. Don't feel that way about M-70's. Everyone to their own.

Monte, Acually, Renae had to ask someone else, which might have been another consumer services rep. She said the last time they used B&C was last year sometime, I read in my Rifleshooter mag. It was Feb. of last year they went back to HS. The VS I bought in Jan. '03' has a HS on it, round heatstamp, B&C has oval, (from a past e-mail with them), I guess I got to e-mail B&C again, they would know wheather or not their selling their stocks to Rem.
shocked.gif
Jay
cool.gif

Jay,

I really am not concerned about whether or not Remington uses B&C or HS Precision, or McMillan stocks. Nobody is arguing over whether or not they do currently, except you. The point is, as Ian stated, at some point in the recent past, as in recent enough that there are still some on shelves around the country, Remington *did* use B&C stocks. I'm reasonably sure that one of the VS's I have has a B&C stock. Works great. But most of the people who buy VS's and Sendero's screamed bloody friggin' murder, so now they are back to HS.

All in all, I think you missed the point of my other post. I'm one who doesn't put a lot of weight in what the first-tier support and/or marketing droids claim as far as brand X vs brand Y, whether its Remington vs Winchester, HS Precision vs B&C, or Leupold vs. NightForce vs Burris or whoever.

I put more weight on independent field evaluations from people who *use* the scope for hunting, target shooting, whatever. If you really, really like your Burris, HS Precision stock, whatever, and can tell me *why* in a convincing manner, it means a lot more than 'Neal and Bob at company Foo emailed me back saying it is so, therefore it is so.'

As always, YMMV,

Monte

Monte, I was just trying to clear up what catshooter said, that he confirmed Rem. went back to B&C, I guess I'm too trusting, when I call a company I figure they're telling the truth, but yet I know you can only take that with a grain of salt too. And like you, I really listen to what the writers and evaluators say and use for themselves about firearms and such, that's one of the reasons I started using Burris, cuz the late Bob Milek used 'em, he was my favorite writer. Jay
smile.gif

Jay,

Even writers in magazines are suspect anymore it seems. How many times have you seen a glowing review of Brand X's new product, w/ the writer gushing over how this is just the best thing since sliced bread and how this company is just the cornerstone of the industry, yada yada yada. Right across from a prominently displayed full color (and sometimes full-page) advertisement for Brand X products. Hmmmm...

There are very few writers in the grocery store magazine racks aka rack-grade that I take too seriously. Bob Milek was indeed one of them. Some of the others, well, sometimes I think they just stir the pot to increase show the editors that people actually read their articles.

YMMV,

Monte

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.