Richards stocks, wood quality?

Kroberts

I'd just picked up a savage 111 barreled action in 30-06 with the old style style trigger for cheap. It looks good, but I need to get a stock on it. This one isn't set to be a long range rig specifically, I still need a rifle setup for <400 yards for big game, but it won't stop me from occasionally sending bullet out to 800+ yards while playing. But I'm looking into putting some wood on it. I'm leaning towards Myrtle as opposed to walnut or maple. I'm well aware of how much work is left to do with a Richards stock and don't mind one bit. I'm used to carving on tough woods with hand tools while carving out self bows about once every couple weeks. Typically out of Osage, black locust, and hickory. The stocks from Richards seem to be about the same cost as a blank but are already predrilled and roughly inlayed and shaped. I'm not too concerned if the fancy grades aren't exactly the quality they say they are as long as they are still solid and turn out pretty when finished. They seem inexpensive for the grade, so if they seem to grade higher than it really is, then your paying what you should for the figure grade.

What I'm curious about,
Is the wood quality worth getting a Richards to save the effort of setting up to drill out the action screw holes on a blank? For about the same amount of money.

Thanks,
Kyle

I got one a few years back for a Ruger. It was a laminated version. Descent stock. Looked very sharp but inletting was no bueno. Just never could get it to button up right. It now wears a Mcmillan.

I think if you google them you may get mixed reviews also.

Following with interest.

I took the plunge and ordered their Marksman style. I figured that what I need is rough inletting and the action holes drilled in the right places; the rest I can do.

Actually, this is the kind of project I look forward to. I'm anticipating a fair bit of work, but I was planning to recontour the stock anyway to make it more trim, so unless there are significant faults or voids, I should be right on track.

It's been some time; I'll post a pic if I ever get it.

When it comes to stock wood, I think you pay for what you get. Just as there are different 'grades' of wood at the different lumber yards, there are different 'grades' of stock blanks. By 'grades' I am not thinking about the amount of figure in the blank, I am thinking about the dense-ness and the age of the blank. Many who offer duplication services are priced about the same as Richards prices their wood and duplication. Something has to 'give' in that equation. Is it the profit margin, overall? Or the quality of the materials (the wood)? Myself, I'll buy the desired blank I have my eye on and then send it to the duplicating service of my choice. I recently inquired about turnaround time of a duplication service I have used in the past,,, said he could have my blank copied and on it's way back in 7 days or less. And, he has been running a stock duplicator for better than 25yrs. His work has always been satisfactory for me, and I got to personally choose the blank I sent him. Stock hand fitting and finishing takes too much time to skimp on the wood, just as the barrel is no place to look for a bargain.

When it comes to stock wood, I think you pay for what you get. Just as there are different 'grades' of wood at the different lumber yards, there are different 'grades' of stock blanks. By 'grades' I am not thinking about the amount of figure in the blank, I am thinking about the dense-ness and the age of the blank. Many who offer duplication services are priced about the same as Richards prices their wood and duplication. Something has to 'give' in that equation. Is it the profit margin, overall? Or the quality of the materials (the wood)? Myself, I'll buy the desired blank I have my eye on and then send it to the duplicating service of my choice. I recently inquired about turnaround time of a duplication service I have used in the past,,, said he could have my blank copied and on it's way back in 7 days or less. And, he has been running a stock duplicator for better than 25yrs. His work has always been satisfactory for me, and I got to personally choose the blank I sent him. Stock hand fitting and finishing takes too much time to skimp on the wood, just as the barrel is no place to look for a bargain.

That's a really good point, and well said. I think that for me this experiment is worth it. That being said, I have another that I'm building. While I'd intended to a CF McMillan/Manners/etc., I'd also thought about wood. That one may not be a DIY project.

The major hangup there: I wish I had a stock to simply duplicate, rather than my current situation where I have elements of several I'd stitch together.

That risk isn't gone with Richards or any of the pre-fab stocks, but that's where the price might mitigate some pain.

"You get what you pay for" Some may feel different, but I think their is a big difference in cost and quality is kiln dried wood vs air dried. Kiln drying is fast and quicker to turn around, where as air dried takes years for a blank to be ready. Theory is quiln dried wood drys faster and so the pores don't shrink as much leaving the wood less dense. I might just be stubborn old school, but for as much work as it is to whittle a stock from a blank, I want it air dried and solid. All this said, I was just on their website last week and was very tempted to order a close out special laminated stock for a Remington 700.....for the price they wanted it seemed you could hardly go wrong. I didn't order it mainly because I have quite a few blanks sitting at home now, and really didn't want to get that look from my wife again! :eek:

Gkgworks has it right, there is a big difference between air dry and kiln dry. Also in consideration should be the 'age' of the blank, after it is considered 'dry enough' to make a stock from. There are dozens and dozens of good stock duplicators out there. Most don't have big, fancy web sites, like Richards does, with lots of pretty pics of highly figured woo stocks. Most of these duplicators are one man shows, and the quality of their work matters to them, personally. Richards is a "big name outfit" that hires people to operate their machinery. Think about that for a moment...… And, the independent guys , besides doing a better job overall, have much better turnaround times......

Shortgrass & CLGWorks:
Well said. Learning a lot, as usual.

This will likely be a one-time experiment with them.

I'll be interested to see theirs if/when it ever shows up, and maybe post my experiences.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.