Remington ultimate mz review

mat072486

Hey,

Seems to be a little interest in the Remington Ultimate from an "normal guy" Mine was delivered last week and I have spent a little time at the range with it.

*disclaimer*
I am a died in the wool remington guy, average shooter, who likes to tinker... Here goes....

I live in Utah and am restricted to 1x scope or open sights. I picked up the laminated wood/peep version.

Initial impressions:

fit and finish were excellent. trigger is a xmark pro. one of the better ones I have tried but will be switched out for a timney with a wider face. trigger pull gauge was 3.8 ave. of 5 pulls. very little creep.

Brass used for priming is a little tricky going in. not as smooth as chambering a round. I expected that and learned to work through it quickly. The brass did not fit in a F/L 308 die for depriming. it does fit in both 6/284 dies and 300 mag dies.

range report tomorrow.

Questions fire away.

Hey,

Seems to be a little interest in the Remington Ultimate from an "normal guy" Mine was delivered last week and I have spent a little time at the range with it.

*disclaimer*
I am a died in the wool remington guy, average shooter, who likes to tinker... Here goes....

I live in Utah and am restricted to 1x scope or open sights. I picked up the laminated wood/peep version.

Initial impressions:

fit and finish were excellent. trigger is a xmark pro. one of the better ones I have tried but will be switched out for a timney with a wider face. trigger pull gauge was 3.8 ave. of 5 pulls. very little creep.

Brass used for priming is a little tricky going in. not as smooth as chambering a round. I expected that and learned to work through it quickly. The brass did not fit in a F/L 308 die for depriming. it does fit in both 6/284 dies and 300 mag dies.

range report tomorrow.

Questions fire away.

Looking forward to the range report. Been waiting for someone to post some long range reports

Range report #1.

58* 4530 ele.

First shots through the gun.

Load:

100 grains by weight BH209, 143 grains volume. each charged was weighed individually. Rem lr Mag primers. 250 grain barnes in the green sabots.

First shot to zero. 8 plus inches low at 30 yards. looking at my peep sight Think to myself there is no way i have enough elevation left to get a 200 yard zero. max out elevation on the peep and move the target to 100 yards.

*swabbing regimen: one patch of no9 solvent and two dry patches between shots.

First shot at 100. cant see it anywhere on paper. walk up and see i am 9 inches low at 100 with my peep maxed out on elevation. nothing I can do about it now so lets see what she will do.

Fired two more shots and checked for group. First 3 round group was 1.273 inches center to center with factory peep sights.

after my 3rd shot i didn't clean and fired 2 more without cleaning. The third shot is a dirty mother to get seated.

The two fouled shots were in the 3-4 inch range.

Really disappointing about the problem with the peep. HOWEVER, it was very clear I was not going to be able to shoot 300 with it anyway. The front sight would cover most of a deer at 300 yards.

Range report #2

Because of me Remington fetish I had plenty of parts to scab together an optic. Leupold rings and bases went right on and i stole a sightron 1x off another muzzleloader. with rifle deer so close and my packed schedule the next two weeks i didn't steal a big scope off one of my rifles.

56* 5950 elevation.

Target was a 3 inch black circle with a 1.5 inch white ring around it. with my 2.5 minute crosshairs i use the white ring to ensure everything is lined up

Same loads. this time i ran one dry patch between shots. no solvent.

it takes 3 shots to get 3 inches high at 100. shot 4 touches shot 3. I get in a hurry and do not swab prior to shot 5. it is 1.5-2 inches high. tell myself to slow down and swab. shot 6 is right back touching the other 2.

If i remove my in a hurry mistake i have a 3 shot group at .724 center to center. with the unswabbed shot i am right at 2 inch for a 4 shot group. still not bad for a 1x scope.

*Cronograph

its time to see how fast she is... 5 shots with crono 10 feet from muzzle. ave of 2207 FPS with 100 grains weight BH209. only a 22 fps speed variance.

*Recoil

Recoil is a non issue for me with this load. less felt than my ultralight 270.

*Cleaning

100 grains weight black horn 209 is MUCH dirtier that 100 grains by volume. I use NO 9 solvent. two wet patches, let it sit 10 minutes and three dry patches. i had to do this 3 times before it was clean.

No blow back onto the brass or into the action. i ran a Q tip around the "nipple" it came back clean.

*Re priming the cases.

I ran the cases through a 300 mag neck sizer as it was in my press. primers come out with no issue. re primed with remington large rifle mag primers with a lee hand primer. primer pockets are tight. no issues what so ever.

Range report 3, this will get me up to date.

34* 5950 ele.

only had a couple minutes to shoot out to 200 yards.

Steel plate. 13" wide, 18" tall. painted white.

three shots, swabbing with one dry patch between shots.

100 grains weight BH209. 2207ish fps. 250 gr. barnes tmz in green sabot.

my cross-hairs cover **** near the whole plate at 200, I looked at the 300 plate and it disappeared behind my cross-hairs.

All three shots hit the steel plate at 200. triangle shaped group right at 6" Without shooting on paper i would dare say 3 inches high at 100 is real close to 200 yard zero. i did have to come left 3 inches.

Here is the 100 yard group.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 104
You do no that 100gr weight of BH209 is like 143gr of volume. that's way it so dirty over 100gr by V nice report.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.