Remington Ultimate Load Thread

thanks fellas for the great info and the pics, I will keep you in the loop as things progress. Why I have you, I have one more question, I realize what the manual says and what the Remington lawyers say BUT has anyone tried smokeless? It seems with the amount of powder and pressure these guns are getting run at, a mild load of smokeless would be safe. Any thoughts?

Yes this gun has been tested with loads of smokeless powder using savage smokeless ml loads. I personally know the gun smith that tested it and I have the load data pressures, speeds, and bullets used in testing. He has pressure tested the barrel to its bursting point and the loads are well below that in pressure. Have I tried it no, will I try it I dont know. Saying that though it does specically say not to use smokeless loads so you would be responsible for your own safety if you wanted to try it.

Yes this gun has been tested with loads of smokeless powder using savage smokeless ml loads. I personally know the gun smith that tested it and I have the load data pressures, speeds, and bullets used in testing. He has pressure tested the barrel to its bursting point and the loads are well below that in pressure. Have I tried it no, will I try it I dont know. Saying that though it does specically say not to use smokeless loads so you would be responsible for your own safety if you wanted to try it.

Ya know, there's always some idiot that will push the limits of just about anything and everything. In this case, some "gun smith" pushed the limit well beyond what the rifle manufacturer explicitly states you SHOULD NEVER DO.
Because some "gun smith" states he tested it, DOES NOT mean using any amount of smokeless propellant in a firearm specifically designed for BP or BPS is safe. There's no published data for smokeless in a RU and I'm quite certain the "gun smith" isn't publishing his data either.

"He has pressure tested the barrel to its bursting point..." At what pressure did the barrel burst????? Will each barrel Remington installs on a RU withstand that same pressure? Where's his published data?

Its only a matter of time before someone will read things like this and believe that using smokeless propellant in a rifle explicitly designed for BP or BPS and end up injuring themselves, someone else, or worse. 'Well I read it on the internet'..... yeah, we know how many of those results end.

My advice......... follow the rifle manufacturer's directions and read all the warnings. Personally, I've seen enough and certainly read enough about injuries shooters have sustained because they didn't follow directions, procedures and warnings.

Ya know, there's always some idiot that will push the limits of just about anything and everything. In this case, some "gun smith" pushed the limit well beyond what the rifle manufacturer explicitly states you SHOULD NEVER DO.
Because some "gun smith" states he tested it, DOES NOT mean using any amount of smokeless propellant in a firearm specifically designed for BP or BPS is safe. There's no published data for smokeless in a RU and I'm quite certain the "gun smith" isn't publishing his data either.

"He has pressure tested the barrel to its bursting point..." At what pressure did the barrel burst????? Will each barrel Remington installs on a RU withstand that same pressure? Where's his published data?

Its only a matter of time before someone will read things like this and believe that using smokeless propellant in a rifle explicitly designed for BP or BPS and end up injuring themselves, someone else, or worse. 'Well I read it on the internet'..... yeah, we know how many of those results end.

My advice......... follow the rifle manufacturer's directions and read all the warnings. Personally, I've seen enough and certainly read enough about injuries shooters have sustained because they didn't follow directions, procedures and warnings.

Hence the statement made
"Saying that though it does specically say not to use smokeless loads so you would be responsible for your own safety if you wanted to try it."

RU update, I have tried various powders and bullet combos. I just put it through the paces with .458 bullets and orange sabots, the groups opened up even more (6-8" at 100 yds). I think I will be shipping this thing off for a once over. Any thoughts??

RU update, I have tried various powders and bullet combos. I just put it through the paces with .458 bullets and orange sabots, the groups opened up even more (6-8" at 100 yds). I think I will be shipping this thing off for a once over. Any thoughts??

Have you tried the H5045LB Harvester with a 300grs SST? There's a few guys in MI that are shooting them, the same bullet/sabot used with the UF BP Xpress. They're getting MOA or less at 300 with them. Try them with 3 T7M pellets.

I finally got to shoot my UML today. I was shooting 80 grs. by weight of black horn 209 and Federal 270 gr. copper bullets. I have to say I was very pleased with less than 1" groups at 100 yds.

I finally got to shoot my UML today. I was shooting 80 grs. by weight of black horn 209 and Federal 270 gr. copper bullets. I have to say I was very pleased with less than 1" groups at 100 yds.

Great! Keep up the good work and continue to practice. Once it becomes second nature, move the target to 200yds. Shoot for groups, not for accuracy. Accuracy will come later. Glad you had a great day!

thanks fellas for the great info and the pics, I will keep you in the loop as things progress. Why I have you, I have one more question, I realize what the manual says and what the Remington lawyers say BUT has anyone tried smokeless? It seems with the amount of powder and pressure these guns are getting run at, a mild load of smokeless would be safe. Any thoughts?

For legal reasons I can't tell it's ok to shoot smokeless powder in a gun that isn't approved for it. So, what I'm about to tell you is my experience and if you do it, it's at your own risk.
I shoot smokeless powder in my regular encore all the time. I've done so for about six years now. Using pressure tested loads and my knowledge of reloading/smokeless powders, I've determined it is safe in my gun. Savage loads are very low pressure loads and often 5744 generates lower pressure than bh209. I use a different powder, but you get the point. My gun shoots 43 gr of something and a 300 gr bullet just shy of 2300 with 3/4 moa accuracy. People need to keep in mind that the sabot acts a failsafe to some degree. At 50k psi, they tend to collapse. The problem comes from the lack of knowledge regarding smokeless propellants. If you use 43 gr of "bullseye", you have a bomb. Pressure is pressure regardless of what generates it.
I don't want others people's opinions about the matter. So kindly keep them to yourself. Your welcome to disagree, but I won't get into a keyboard contest.

Finally settled on Barnes Original .458 300gr and Orange MMP Sabots on top of 4 Pyrodex 50gr pellets for my hunt. Group was sub MOA at 2170fps. I practiced out to 300 yards with this load.

I headed to NM and began the hunt with a long time guide.

After 4 days of hard hunting, we located a solid bull across the canyon (over 1000 yards away from our vantage point).

23u8xaq.jpg

14vs8ci.jpg

We put the bull to bed at about 10am and I departed the glassing point to cross the canyon and come up on the ridge across the bowl the elk were bedded in. Took about 1.5 hours to cover the ground, top out, and locate the bull.

2lbgdhz.jpg

I initially tried to ease around the top of the ridge to shorten the distance but I jumped a Muley forker and he almost ruined the party. So I decided to take what I had. I returned to area across the bowl and prepared for the shot. I eased out on the rocks on my hands and knees taking my pack and my 700 UML.

I set up the bipod and ranged the bull (still bedded) at 262 yards.

I dialed in the distance on my turret at (6.75 minutes)

15d6iyv.jpg

The bull's head was slowly bobbing as he slumbered. I steadied the shot and squeezed the trigger. Smoke hung in the air for 4-5 seconds and I found the bull in my scope expecting him to be moving after the shot. He didn't budge. Head still bobbing. I was in disbelief! How did I miss? After another second or two, the bull stretched out his neck, then legs and rolled over. He never got up.

2qdzzif.jpg

My guide was still watching from across the canyon and saw the shot hit the bull. Neither of us could believe what we saw.

I made my way over to the bull and spent a few quiet moments of silence with the old bull. This was my first successful elk hunt (of three hunts - Rifle in NM in '05 and Rifle in CO in '15.

ruy7p3.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.