Remington Ultimate

ENCORE

Rather Remington's current status is promoting it or not, Remington appears to be now cracking down on shooters who insist on using BH209 in the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. Remington is stating that BH209 IS NOT an approved propellant.
Now this is something that I've been suggesting since the RUM went into production, but some writer promoted it and off everyone went, even though its never been written in the owner's manual as an approved propellant. Someone at the call desk at Remington told people that they could shoot BH from the rifle, actually more than one shooter was told this. However, it appears things have changed.

The following is a quote from a member of a FB page I have for UF and RUM owners ONLY. I have his permission to share his "of late" experience.

"Update on my Remington Ultimate I had in for warranty work due to headspace issue. I called Remington 2 weeks ago due to no update on my warranty process via their website and my serial number. The warranty department stated they had no clue where my gun was due to it not being in their system, even tho they sent UPS to pick it up and had records of it being delivered at their facility. Today I received an email that the gun would be delivered today by the end of day, which the gun showed up via UPS. I also received a note stating that my headspace was off due to a bad breechplug. The reason for the bad breechplug, was due to improper powder use (black horn 209). Remington stated the only approved powder for my gun is pellets. I'm curious due to Remington previously telling me I'm fine to shoot blackhorn 209 out of the gun. I contacted the gun repair department and they also stated DO NOT shoot Blackhorn. I guess I will be switching to Triple 7 magnum pellets lol. I wanted everyone to have a heads up on the Remington's stance on shooting Blackhorn 209. My gun is perfect now, no dented brass and the brass is now clean as new after every shot with pellets. Remington also noted I did not get charged for repair due to the gun damaging brass out of the box with the very first shot even with pellets prior to me switching to Blackhorn."

So I just bought a used one of these. You saying I should change to 777????

What's the Recs dude??? U are the best muzzy guy I know.

So I just bought a used one of these. You saying I should change to 777????

What's the Recs dude??? U are the best muzzy guy I know.

Here's what I know....... BH209 has never been an approved propellant by Remington and never in the owner's manual. A writer started the craze of using BH209 and everyone jumped directly on his writing. Problem is, some at Remington, probably wanting more sales, started telling people that called that the rifle will shoot BH209. Well of course it will! So will the BP Xpress from UF.
However, it was well documented by UF, that BH gas cuts breech plugs, even with PERFECT head space. UF warned Remington, which is why Remington never listed it as an approved propellant in the owner's manual.
I've been in down right arguments over this, with the opinion to not use BH, but it appears Remington is going to settle the issue. At least it appears so by what they told this owner.

My suggestions have always been to follow the manufacturer's recommendations, which never included BH. I learned the lesson the hard way myself.

I only shoot T7, rather it be 50/50 or the T7M pellets. I have shot loose T7, which worked fine, and yes it is cheaper. However I NEVER exceed 180grs.

Ok great!!! I just want to get it to shooot. Like I said I bought it cuz I got a smoking deal and I know they shoot. I'll let you know when I get around to shooting it. Thank you!!!

Ok great!!! I just want to get it to shooot. Like I said I bought it cuz I got a smoking deal and I know they shoot. I'll let you know when I get around to shooting it. Thank you!!!

You're very welcome! I'm just very happy that the member made his post this evening and wanted to share the information with others.

If you need any help, I'll do what I can. PM with any questions.

Rather Remington's current status is promoting it or not, Remington appears to be now cracking down on shooters who insist on using BH209 in the Remington Ultimate Muzzleloader. Remington is stating that BH209 IS NOT an approved propellant.
Now this is something that I've been suggesting since the RUM went into production, but some writer promoted it and off everyone went, even though its never been written in the owner's manual as an approved propellant. Someone at the call desk at Remington told people that they could shoot BH from the rifle, actually more than one shooter was told this. However, it appears things have changed.

The following is a quote from a member of a FB page I have for UF and RUM owners ONLY. I have his permission to share his "of late" experience.

"Update on my Remington Ultimate I had in for warranty work due to headspace issue. I called Remington 2 weeks ago due to no update on my warranty process via their website and my serial number. The warranty department stated they had no clue where my gun was due to it not being in their system, even tho they sent UPS to pick it up and had records of it being delivered at their facility. Today I received an email that the gun would be delivered today by the end of day, which the gun showed up via UPS. I also received a note stating that my headspace was off due to a bad breechplug. The reason for the bad breechplug, was due to improper powder use (black horn 209). Remington stated the only approved powder for my gun is pellets. I'm curious due to Remington previously telling me I'm fine to shoot blackhorn 209 out of the gun. I contacted the gun repair department and they also stated DO NOT shoot Blackhorn. I guess I will be switching to Triple 7 magnum pellets lol. I wanted everyone to have a heads up on the Remington's stance on shooting Blackhorn 209. My gun is perfect now, no dented brass and the brass is now clean as new after every shot with pellets. Remington also noted I did not get charged for repair due to the gun damaging brass out of the box with the very first shot even with pellets prior to me switching to Blackhorn."

So I picked up one of the RUM this spring to hunt around Pittsburgh PA in the muzzleloader/shotgun only areas.

@ENCORE Are you saying that Blackhorn 209 should be avoided all together or just in heavy charges. I was hoping to shoot a mild charge of 100gr by volume.

Please advise.
Regards
Ross

So I picked up one of the RUM this spring to hunt around Pittsburgh PA in the muzzleloader/shotgun only areas.

@ENCORE Are you saying that Blackhorn 209 should be avoided all together or just in heavy charges. I was hoping to shoot a mild charge of 100gr by volume.

Please advise.
Regards
Ross

As far as Blackhorn 209, Remington WILL NOT warrant the rifle at all if you shoot BH209 through the rifle. Remington started replacing breech plugs one right after the other and one of the issues was the use of BH209 and its nitrocellulose properties, the other improper head spacing and PP brass primer carriers. So the easiest and fastest thing was to stop warranting rifles shot with BH. (see post #1) I've been telling owners not to use BH since RW came out saying it was ok and everyone started doing it, even though the Remington manual states different.

If you shoot BH, regardless of the amount of charge used and gas cut the breech plug, Remington is most likely going to tell you you're on your own and charge you. If you don't shoot the recommended propellant listed in the Remington manual, they're not going to warrant the rifle from my understanding.

I personally know and am friends with Ken Johnston, the person who invented the breech plug and used in his muzzleloaders. Remington wanted a long range muzzleloader and purchased the rights to use his breech plug and tried to redesign it slightly, by making it harder and changed the threads per inch. These changes make it easier to remove the breech plug. However, head space, PP brass primer carriers and BH will still gas cut the hardened nipples.

You have a pure RACE HORSE, but with the breech plug you currently have, its nothing more than a pony. I HIGHLY... HIGHLY... recommend you consider replacing your original breech plug with the newly designed ASG plug. It'll be the last breech plug you'll need, it won't gas cut and you'll be able to shoot heavy charges of BH209 in the rifle without worry. I'll just tell you this, guys that own a RUM and don't get the modification, are doing themselves a HUGE INJUSTICE. Of course there's an initial cost, but in the long run, it can save you thousands, depending on how much you shoot.

Now this I'll also tell you..... I shoot the daddy of the RUM, the BP Xpress from Ultimate Firearms Inc. Its an extremely accurate long range muzzleloader, however its not as great as it could be...….. yet ;) ASG has developed a replacement breech plug for the UF Inc. rifles and I'm sending mine out to Luke this week for modification and can't hardly wait. I'm tired of all the manual work, brass cases leaking, gas cut breech plugs and over expensive propellant. I can shoot unimaginable groups on a good day with 3 - T7M pellets. For $27 a box, I get 16 shots. I've been waiting for this change for the last couple years and its finally here.
Do yourself the best favor you can do for that rifle. Have Luke at ASG replace that breech plug and be done with problems.
http://arrowheadsporting.com/

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.