Remington actions

mustang58

Do the new Remington actions seem as smooth as the old ones? I prefer the older ones but sometimes wonder if the steel is as good. I have several custom rifles built on Rem. actions from 721-722 to early 700s. Once talked to a benchrest smith that wouldn't build on anything newer than a "C" prefix. What are your thoughts?

Do the new Remington actions seem as smooth as the old ones? I prefer the older ones but sometimes wonder if the steel is as good. I have several custom rifles built on Rem. actions from 721-722 to early 700s. Once talked to a benchrest smith that wouldn't build on anything newer than a "C" prefix. What are your thoughts?
"Horse pucky!". Check the new 'high end' rifles. Those SPS are made to be priced as low as possible so WalMart can sell 'um at a low price. Hence, they don't have the 'slickness' of higher end rifles. At least the new ones are made on CNC equipment instead of being moved from jig to jig, machine to machine where every time it's moved error can be introduced. "Real" BR gunsmiths won't even consider building a BR rifle on any 700. Their reputations demand custom actions. Build a BR rifle on a 700 and it's not competitive and you're no longer a BR gunsmith, just a guy who installs custom barrels. The steel used in both the new and old action would be comparable. Were not talking the difference between old school low carbon, that's case hardened, and modern alloys.

Well your statement is not exactly correct. The now scarce TI actions while not BR quality did not require blueprinting. My Smith has built on them and likes them. Going to call my old boss who now works there and see if the can scrounge me up one being held incase one comes back for repair...

If you are worried about Rem 700 "quality" then buy a StIller. Any of their actions are Rem 700 "clones" and they drop right into a stock cut for a 700.

But since they are a custom made action...there's no doing this an that to get the action in perfect shape. Put a Jewell trigger on it and go to town.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.