Remington 700 switch barrel

Sharpshooter243

I've been doing some research on-line and I think I want to do this with my next build. One barrel 308 Win and one 300 Win. I have a long action receiver but what I need to know is:
1. Is it best to have to seperate bolt heads or two completed bolts.
2. is there a difference between and long action threaded barrel and short action threaded barrel(if i find a good used barrel)

I want to do a M24 style build so I will be doing a HS stock and some kind of DM trigger gaurd assembly if that matters

I've been doing some research on-line and I think I want to do this with my next build. One barrel 308 Win and one 300 Win. I have a long action receiver but what I need to know is:
1. Is it best to have to seperate bolt heads or two completed bolts.
2. is there a difference between and long action threaded barrel and short action threaded barrel(if i find a good used barrel)

I want to do a M24 style build so I will be doing a HS stock and some kind of DM trigger gaurd assembly if that matters

you probably want two complete bolt assemblys. The barrels can be setup to head space off a barrel nut instead of the shoulder. Pacnor has done a lot of Remintons in the past this way. But you can also do this off a shoulder, but it's harder and a lot more expensive. Your also going to need a long action Remington for starters. Myself, I'd get my hands on a 112 Savage with the large bolt face in .308. Then order in a national match .300 mag barrel and bolt head. There alone your $800 ahead
gary

I already have a Remington LA with a 308 bolt face so thats not a huge deal. I talked to Jim See at Center Shot Rifles and to have the action trued w/ 2 bolts and the recoil lug pinned will run $275 (head space off the shoulder).
I thought about doing a savage build but just didn't like the stock and other aftermarket parts available for this build.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.