Remington 700 Detachable Magazine for 270 win

nz4x4

Hi there

I'm in the process of building a custom Remington 700 in 270 Win. I have hit a little snag in regards to which detachable magazine system to use. There seem to be a few out there, but not all are suitable to the 270 sized case.

So far i have found

Wyatt
HS Precision
Pierce Engineering
Surgeon
Accuracy Systems Int
Badger ordnance
Seekins Precision

It would be nice if i could get a Seekins mag to suit (highly unlikely, but maybe i could look at modifying one) as i already have one on my Edge which i absolutely love! It seems to be head and shoulders above the rest.

I have heard that the HS precision mags have reliability issues...

Any feed back would be much appreciated. What would you use and why. Or why not.

Cheers
Sam

Do you really need to go for a detachable mag system Sam?

Have you considered a Wyatts extended mag box which allows you to seat out longer in a standard stock. Alot cheaper than adding a detachable system and will be stacks lighter if thats a concern too.

Are you set on a .270 as there may be some better options if doing a custom rifle. For example 7MMWSM if you have a long action is a great option as you will not need to fit an extended mag box.

Food for thought anyways

I dont need a DM but i prefer them. I am using a McMillan Remington Hunter stock which I will have inleted as required for the bottom metal.
I thought about going to a different caliber and 7mmwsm was in the final 3 but I already have competition dies and neck turning gear for the 270. This is only my bush gun (out to 500m if required) and the 270 has served me well so far. I will use my new 338 edge for my long range work. And I will take both rifles in for extended trips.

thanks though Steve.

Cheers
Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.