Remington 700 bolt failure

gabby

My best buddy just came out here to Montana to hunt with me for a week or two. Wed he got a nice four point buck. Today he started to close the bolt on his 700 7mm, ( Elk) when the handle fell off! His Dad bought this rifle in the early to mid 70's. It's seen lots of use but not abuse. It looks like the weld failed. We can't get this bolt to a gunsmith until Mon. Does anybody have an idea as to the time or difficulity for this fix? Thanks Mike

.++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I have heard of this happening before. Just unlucky ! Be happy it didn't happen with a giant bull in your scope.

It should be a simple fix of soldering it back on. Should be easy to get you back on the road again .

DUH

Depends on whether you want to get it back off or not. You can try Permatex PermaPoxy 4 minute Multi-metal epoxy, it has a strength of 4500 psi. Then there is always J-B weld which has a tensile strength of 3960 psi.

Take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired. There's more to it than any epoxy will fix. Some TIG weld the handles. Some use silver solder.

silver solder is the best way to fix it unless you know a realy good tig welder
that will control the temp you could over heat the bolt and damage it.

I would not recomend epoxy because it will not hold very well and will contaminate
the bolt and the handle and prevent it fron welding very good unless you remove
all the epoxy back to bright metal possibly loosing the orentation.

Just my recomendations
J E CUSTOM

I would take it to a smith and have it soldered on so the timing is correct. Doing it yourself without the correct tools and fixtures you could get it wrong and have an unsafe gun.

We took the bolt to Capital sports-Helena, Mt. this morning. Arnold (the gunsmith) had it finished this afternoon. Good people. We're going hunting in the morning. Thanks Mike

I've had that happen twice. All I did was use a propane torch (with the bolt striped) and some silver solder from the local NAPA store. After that just clean everthing up and reassemble the bolt and start shooting.

Good Luck

Southpaw

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.