Remington 700 replacement bolt

I have an H.S. Precision rifle that was a 7mm Rem Mag and I had it rebarreled to a 300 Win Mag a few years ago. The bolt has a sako extractor and it wasn't working all the time so I sent the bolt back to H.S. to have a new extractor installed. I am not sure if I informed them the rifle was changed to a 300. Problem is extractor isn't working all the time I was thinking I might have a new aftermarket bolt installed on my rifle ? Thoughts please and thank you !
I don't know if this is your problem but it might be something to look at.

A problem can sometimes occur with custom bbl's and chambers due to the tight specs. The clearance between the extractor and the recess of the bbl where the bolt slides into could be at minimum tolerance. (This is the area at the very outside of the breech where the bolt nose slides into the bbl.) As the Sako extractor swings out when it tries to catch the rim of a case it will impact the side of this recess before capturing the rim. This impedance is enough to cause a failed extraction. The cure can be very simple. Simply take a file and remove a small amount of material on the outside of the extractor, then buff with a wheel. Generally it will not take much and it is easy fix. Sometimes you can put a bit of taper on the outside tip of the extractor and polish it, yielding the same results.

I hope this helps.

H.S. replaced the sako extractor two years ago I would estimate I have less than 100 rounds through the rifle since they changed it.
I would call them and ask what they can do for you or advise you to do as far as cleaning it up could be just crud from hunting and shooting

I don't know if this is your problem but it might be something to look at.

A problem can sometimes occur with custom bbl's and chambers due to the tight specs. The clearance between the extractor and the recess of the bbl where the bolt slides into could be at minimum tolerance. (This is the area at the very outside of the breech where the bolt nose slides into the bbl.) As the Sako extractor swings out when it tries to catch the rim of a case it will impact the side of this recess before capturing the rim. This impedance is enough to cause a failed extraction. The cure can be very simple. Simply take a file and remove a small amount of material on the outside of the extractor, then buff with a wheel. Generally it will not take much and it is easy fix. Sometimes you can put a bit of taper on the outside tip of the extractor and polish it, yielding the same results.

I hope this helps.
Yikes I would be nervous as a prostitute in church. I have fit a lot of 45 barrels with a standard bastard file and buffed with a dremel. I guess it wouldn't hurt much if there was contact. Magic Marker/Smoke it first and it may help tell you how much if any contact it's having. The odd part to me is if it wont grab it because it cant move out enough....then you would know or be able to feel it when you pushed the bolt forward. Once its on the rim unless it moves out again (weak spring or not engaged enough) it should work or scrape/pull some of the rim off. No matter please post up what the problem/solution was when you get it figured out.

When you had the rifle re-barreled did HS do the work?
Great Question... I just pulled my receipts No I did not as to be honest they were being very unprofessional. I had them re-barrel it and the accuray went backwards so I had another company change it from a 7mm Rem Mag to a 300 Win Mag. Then I sent just the bolt to H.S. to get a new extractor installed I am thinking because it was having issues and my old man memory isn't sure about that but you are making me think.

I suspect inadequate diameter clearance inside the bolt nose recess, given that HS has already replaced parts and you're still having problems.

The bolt nose counterbore in the breech typically needs to be larger to allow clearance for M16/Sako extractors.
HS can change out parts till the cows come home, if the counterbore isn't allowing clearance for the extractor to fully swing out so it can snap over the rim, nothing short of pulling the barrel and enlarging the counterbore will solve it.

I'd take the rifle to a local smith, have him pull the barrel and measure the counterbore diameter, and that of the bolt nose with extractor fully open to see if it is indeed a clearance issue.

I also noticed with mine....the extractor would hit the receiver metal...if push it forward you may see it just touching the receiver...
I did some fine tuning with my engraver..rounded the extractor at the spot of the keeper pin and slightly forward....but if you arent pulling the brass out....two things to look for...
1....is build up of gunk under the forend of the extractor..and you will need to remove the extractor to see it....
2....if the front of the extractor just isn't reaching far enough forward to grab the brass....