remington 700 ADL 300 win mag, can it be a long range hunting rifle???

hillajam

I have a Remington model 700 ADL 300 win mag with a synthetic stock. Can this gun be a good long range hunting rifle with some good gunsmithing. What would you guys suggest to do to it to become a true long ranger.

If its wearing the cheap tuperwear factory stock I'd replace it of do a good bit of work to include piller and glass bedding , bedding a steel or aluminum rid the length of the forend and filling with epoxy to make it stiff , have the trigger worked down to a respectible 3lb range and my personal main pep-peev is the crown , have the crown recut.
These are the basic three things that I would do the the gun strait out the gate as they are the most common weak links. Then shoot it and see what it'll do , if you handload you need to pick a bullet and start working up loads. If you don't handload pick several factory loads you'ld consider shooting then go test them to see what shoots the best.

depends on the amount of gunsmithing you want to spend on it. I would have the trigger tuned. either get a new stock or have it bedded. aluminium pillar bedded. If you want to go completely custom then it is just what you want.

Thanks for the input guys what does having my stock aluminum pillar bedded do. I don't quite know what this is. Also do muzzelbreaks just take out kick or do they add in accuracy?
Thanks again I'm starting to get excited to start in on it!

Piller and Glass bedding both do about the same things , they mate the action and stock together so that when tightened theiy act as one piece.
Piller bedding is the instalation of aluminum or SS will allow you to tighten your action screws to a nice snug even 45-60 in lbs and not worry about the stock getting tighter on you action because of climate change which will cause the accuracy change.
I personaly piller and glass bed all my guns this gives a skin tight fit and no chance of flexing the action due to over tightening the action screws

Thanks JD,
Now I've heard or "floating the barrel", is that the same as glass bedding or am I way off. That is when the barrel doesnt touch the stock at all further down the barrel isn't it?

Floating the barrel is simply making sure that the barrel doesn't contact the stock anywhere along the barrel channel I personaly like a big gap 1/8" or more this way I know that their no way that I can inflect any sort of stress on the barrel from the stock , BUT , you can get stuff in their that will cause a problem if you not careful.

You can free float a barrel without bedding it but I like to do both even in stock like the HS precision that have the aluminum bedding block. Doing both also helps to make sure that your barrel channel will be even.

Thanks JD,
I've got another question for you. Do you know of any on that does custom stocks? I want to get rid of my old plastic piece off poop and get a nice one. Got any recomendations on what kind of stock and what kind of wood?

Joel Russo , he builds some fine laminates and has several desgines in a ton of colors , he's a great guy to deal with and has a realy good turnaround time.

If you look back a few pages in the "equiptment rewiew" forum on this site or you shoot me an E-mail and I'll give you his phone number. my E-mail is [email protected]

At just one email Joel Russo called me and we spent a good 20-30 minutes BS'ing about recoil, and stocks, and all the stuff that gets guys like us all warm and fuzzy.

I was going to buy an A5L for my A-bolt and I ended up trading the gun for a new project.
I will try to get these pics that James Jones sent me when I was asking about Joel Russo.

IMG_0035.jpg

DSCN1374.jpg
DSCN1291.jpg
DSCN1077.jpg
DSCN1076.jpg
DSCN1075.jpg
DSCN1074.jpg
404804.jpg

Re: Custom Stocks

Does Joel Russo have a web site. I'd like to see the rest of his stock designs.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.