Long Range Scope choice for a 300 Win. Mag.

cappy

Hello,

This is the first time I have posted on this site, but have been reading through past posts for awhile. This site appears to have some people who know their stuff and I am hoping to find some well guided direction to help me make my decision.

My question is; I have a 300 Win. Mag. that I want to put a long range tactical scope on, for long range deer and elk hunting (600 yds+).

I have a short list of scopes which I am considering but would like the pro's to identify the plus's and minus's of each, considering that this rifle is a hunting rifle for large game. I do not own any of my short listed scopes nor have I ever looked through or used any of them.

My short list of scopes is:

1. Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x50 AO Long Range.
2. Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50
3. Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56

I think I have narrowed my list down to the best scopes available for my intended use. The suggestions I leave to you!!

Thanks

Cappy

In my opinion, the leupold is the best value.

You have a good list and I think you would be happy with any of your choices. Everyones eyes are different and I would suggest looking through each of your choices if possible.

The most rugged on you list is the Nightforce NSX 5.5x22x50 I would not hesitate to recommend the NSX for hunting excellent glass, recitals and adjustability of parallex and MOA.

The Leupold would be my 2nd choose excellent clarity and available MOA for the long shot.

I have no experience with the Zeiss Conquest.
Crow Mag

I recently purchased a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14x44mm for my .300 RUM. I had my mind made up on a Leupold VX-III, which is a very nice clear scope. However there was no comparison when I compared the two side by side. To me the Zeiss was much more clear, and just felt more durable. It was a bit spendier than the Leupold though. About $150.00 more if I remember correctly. I'm extremely happy with this scope. Haven't had it out in the weather yet. That will be the next test.

Thanks for the info guys. It appears all my short listed scopes have fans. good to hear..

The Nightforce seems to be the choice I am leaning to. Better to spend the money once.

Seeing that I am from Canada and have never seen a Nightforce scope let alone know of any store that sells them. Can any of you guys point me in the direction of where to aquire one. I have been looking around the net and have found several places (all of which vary in price by $100 or so), but have not yet narrowed down which place is the best to purchase one.

Thanks again for the comments,

Cappy

Ditto what Crow Mag said--The NXSis the best scope in the bunch, but also the most expensive. I have four NXS's, and have had the Vari-X III LR M1 in all the models(3.5-10, 4.5-14, 6.5-20 and 8.5-25). All the Leupolds eventually got sold or traded for Night Forces...

cappy
I've got the Conquest on my 300 WM and am tickled to death with it. I looked at the Leupold and didn't think it was as clear as the Zeiss. It wasn't a side by side comparison because they were in two different stores but I did go back to both several times. I didn't look at the Nightforce (out of my price range) so I can't comment on that one.
The Leupold will give you more internal adjustment, but has a variable eye relief.
The Conquest will probably need tapered bases or burris ***-align rings to get you to 1000 yds., but has a fixed eye relief and a side paralax adjustment. (no reaching around to the end of the scope)
Both have user friendly target turrets(although the Conquest has them exposed/no caps) and lifetime warranties.
Hope this info helps some, and remember this is just one guys opinion, best thing to do is get your hands on each of them and see what your eyes like best.
Good luck
Chris

The Zeiss Conquest is the best of the cheaper scopes, but unfortunately has a 26mm tube. If they built it with a 30mm tube they would be onto a real winner.
The NXS is very popular. Also have a look at the Schmidt & Bender PMII line, they have the best optics and reliability of the bunch.
Pete

Cappy, I have a Nikon Monarch 6.5X20-44 scope that is up for sale. Optically, it will be equal to all and better then the Leupold. Mechanically excellent too. has 38 min of adjustment which is plenty for your intended use.

A great scope which is very rare in Canada. I picked up a spare and this one is new in the box.

My email is [email protected] if interested. Can send pics.

Jerry

The Nightforce 5.5-22x56mm with the R-2 reticle will give you everything you need in range adjustment and give you the lower power for your walk in to the hunting area (good field of view).

I have one of these scopes on one of my 50 BMG rifles and find it very nice and quite useful with the 100moa vertical adjustment and lighted reticle. The glass is very bright and the scope is durable.

While the price is high, you may only get one shot and if you cannot see the critter, you cannot hit the critter and put it down.

You can find discount sellers of NF scopes in Precision Shooting magazine for internet purchase.

Hope this helps.

cappy

first I assume you are talking about a walking around hunting rifle.

Go to the leupold 4-14 with illuminated mil dot. # 56070. Lower power range for close shots but more than enough power to go past 1000.

Illuminated mil dot for quick ranging and range holdovers even in low light

More than adequate optics for what you have explained and cost is reasonable.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.