Remington 40x questions

Dogmann

Im looking at buying a used Remington 40xb from a gentleman who says its all original. It's a 7.62 NATO marked stainless bull barrel. No other markings. The action is marked Remington 40x. My question- were the 40x's from Remington custom shop- barrels marked Remington?

Both of my early-'70s vintage 40X rifles are marked on the barrel, right in front of the left side of the receiver, "7.62 NATO," with an emblem that looks like an inverted "V" with three points across the top, aka, the heart. On one, it is before the 7.62 marking, on the other, it is after. On the opposite side of the barrel is a three letter code for the date of manufacture. If the rifle is an original .308, the top of the receiver will be clip-slotted. From what I have read, this was only ever done on the .308 repeaters. The barrels on mine are not marked above the stock line with anything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.