Remage rifle fun to build and accurate!

Taggin' in (and a related question)....

If a fella had a Rem700 long action (magnum bolt face) and wanted to shoot a "short action" chambering (7mm-08), is that possible?

Was thinking to accomplish this, a new bolt (with proper bolt face) is all that would be needed (and the appropriate barrel and head space gauges of course..)?
My understanding is that you are correct, it is possible to shoot a short action cartridge in a long action as long as you have the correct bolt face, but I'm interested to hear what the experts chime in with

Taggin' in (and a related question)....

If a fella had a Rem700 long action (magnum bolt face) and wanted to shoot a "short action" chambering (7mm-08), is that possible?

Was thinking to accomplish this, a new bolt (with proper bolt face) is all that would be needed (and the appropriate barrel and head space gauges of course..)?
You will need a .473 bolt face (medium bolt face) for the 7mm-08 (same for .308, 260, 6.5 Creed etc.).

Tikka short action cartridges are on a long action with a shorter bolt stop. They work great. Some cartridges might require a little adjustment with a spacer to feed their best.

Yes it flat out shoots! I have realized similar groupings at extended ranges also. My huntin buddies all want me to build them one, I said I will loan ya my tools and coach ya but ya need to build your own it's easy and you will have the satisfaction of doin it yourself.
I suspect Gunsmiths/rifle builders may have disdain for this setup and I feel for em but that's progress.

Could you explain in simple terms what a Ceiterion remage is and how it all works

Remage is a combination of the words Remington and Savage. Take a Remington action (or clone) and instead of using a lathe to set headspace, you set it up like a Savage with a barrel nut (jamnut). It allows you to put a go gauge in the chamber, then tighten down the barrel till it bumps it, then tighten up the barrel nut. Allowing easy barrel changes and easy headspace adjustment. Criterion is one of the mfrs that will chamber a barrel blank, thread it to go into a Remington action and accept a barrel nut

My RemAge was built on my first center fire rifle (Mdl 721, 270 Win) my Dad bought me 45 years ago. Since my Dad has passed, i got his rifle, which was a 270 Win as well, So I decided to change the barrel out on mine. Ordered a 280 AI Criterion RemAge with Barrel Nut, oversized recoil lug and go/no gauges. Changed the stock to a Stocky"s Stock with aluminum bedding block and replaced the trigger. Still working up a load, but it shoots Nosler 140 grn Accubond factory ammo to just under a 1/2 moa at 200. I chose this route so that my rifle was truly something made (assembled) by me. Can't wait to start killing some animals to fill my freezer this year. It is Easy, Peasy to do as a project.

Remage is a combination of the words Remington and Savage. Take a Remington action (or clone) and instead of using a lathe to set headspace, you set it up like a Savage with a barrel nut (jamnut). It allows you to put a go gauge in the chamber, then tighten down the barrel till it bumps it, then tighten up the barrel nut. Allowing easy barrel changes and easy headspace adjustment. Criterion is one of the mfrs that will chamber a barrel blank, thread it to go into a Remington action and accept a barrel nut

I assume there are no adaptions similar if using a win model 70. I have a win 70 I'd like to rebarrel to present 264 win mag?

I assume there are no adaptions similar if using a win model 70. I have a win 70 I'd like to rebarrel to present 264 win mag?
Can't say for sure but check with PacNor. I'm doing mine thru NSS but I think they work with Remington and Savage exclusively.

My understanding is that you are correct, it is possible to shoot a short action cartridge in a long action as long as you have the correct bolt face, but I'm interested to hear what the experts chime in with
Definitely a good idea to build SA chamberings on a LA if you plan on shooting long bullets throated out properly.
I just put a 6mm Rem together based off a LA Tikka that started out as a 3006.
It's a pre-fit from McGowen they call it a "Tikkage".
IMG_20190217_105452655~2.jpg

Good choice with 6mm Rem. You can get Norma 7×57 Mauser brass and neck it down in your 6mm rem dies. That brass had 8 firings and still good ( 150 pieces outlasted the barrel).
That's what I did on my 6AI . Still have a couple of hundred pieces left for the next barrel if I ever have an unused action to put one on.

Definitely a good idea to build SA chamberings on a LA if you plan on shooting long bullets throated out properly.
I just put a 6mm Rem together based off a LA Tikka that started out as a 3006.
It's a pre-fit from McGowen they call it a "Tikkage".
View attachment 124058
Do you have to change anything in the magazine or feed ramp to run SA cartridges from a Long Action? I've been interested in this concept, but havent really done much research.

Do you have to change anything in the magazine or feed ramp to run SA cartridges from a Long Action? I've been interested in this concept, but havent really done much research.
Do you have a long action rifle? Say a 30-06? I would take a 308 cartridge and load it in magazine and slowly start to close bolt and see if bullet raises properly and starts to enter chamber with out the tip hitting anything. If it doesn't hit anything and would enter the chamber with deforming tip of bullet I would imagine it would work without modific@tion. Just be careful testing the theory? LOL
I wouldn't close the bolt though just see if the cartridge starts properly.

No mods needed with the Tikka, or my Remington 700 338 RUM that I re barreled to 7-300wsm.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.