300WSM Remage Build

Muddyboots

OK, appreciate any thoughts where I am on this. Doing with reasonable cost for average guy that is retired and BUDGET is always up front. I have Wheeler receiver wrench and vise from recent Savage barrel swap which went perfect.

1. 700 SS SA 300WSM action from SPS rifle in hand
  2. Timney trigger already installed
  3. Have Magpul 700 SA hunter stock with MGW AICS mag that has 2.900 max COAL capability = 0.035 - 0.060 off lands with most bullets I shoot which can be a limiting factor but the SA is what I have.
  • How difficult is it to remove Remington barrel that is 10 years old?
  • Anybody have any ideas to help out mag limitation other than shortening up the throat? The receiver feed ramp is all part of the issue so I don't want to get into major machining that I cannot do. The COAL versus the CBTO will always be a problem if I want to get near lands so I can live with it if I have to. Some of the really accurate loads I have run actually quite a bit shorted than the 2.900 COAL anyway.
  • Looking to go with Sendero contour, 1:10 and 25 or 26" TBD. Challenge the barrel length and why? I already have a Sendero 300WM that is a heavyweight shooter so not looking to shoot heavyweights so the throat will be one of the thoughts to manage within the COAL mag limits. The max bullet will likely be 200 and really looking to shoot 180-200 grains with it. I really like the 180AB and 200AB so I may measure up for the 200AB as the throat spec. Never shot the 190LRAB so that may be another look see. I prefer bonded bullets which is just the way it is. I have not had much luck with the 200ELDX thought the 178ELDX shot well. Kind of interested in new Speer Impact higher BC hunting 190 gr bullet that is out.
  • https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/bullets/rifle-bullets/impact-bullet/tb308h2
  • I know I need go/no go but thought maybe could "rent" set from someone on forum?
  • Once I have the details down should I just send it off to someone?
I am 69, retired from industry, curmudgeon, so you cannot hurt my feelings with recommendations on the build. ;) I am not trying to make it like a 300WM just a better WSM. I will not be LR other out to 5-600 probably as a hunting rifle.

Have at it!

If you aren't set on a wsm, you might check out the 300 ss. It was designed for what you have in mind.
shermanwildcatcartridges.com

Criterion makes a nice remage barrel, for hunting inside 600 yds maybe a 24" length and keep it a 300 wsm for simplicity of finding factory ammo in a pinch. I use the kiss method

I've had really good luck with Match Grade Machine,
You can send them your action and they'll screw it on for free if you don't feel like buying gauges..

To take off the old barrel take a piece of paper drywall tape and sprinkle some rosin on it, wrap it around the barrel where the vice contacts and it'll keep it from slipping.
Super easy

blackaj:
MGM is on the list, they have built quite a few Encore barrels for me that ALL shot extremely well. Their fit and finish has been really good and have listened to the customer on several occasions that needed their attention. Customer service has been quite good for me. But looking at all options for this build. Thx for barrel suggestion. I actually went to using teak for the barrel vise wood and it seems to hold better than other wood I have tried. Had a block of it left over from a boat project and just tried it!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.