Rem700 not loading from magazine???

aaroncarp

Hey everyone, I am finishing up my semi custom build on my 300 RUM model 700 BDL. When I try to load the gun from the magazine it does not want to load from the left side of the mag. Also if I load a 3rd one in the belly, it doesnt want to load that one either. It keeps launching the shells out the side. I think the new stock is a bit shorter which would mean that the spring is too tight maybe? When I open the belly up and relieve pressure off the spring it loads just fine. Can I buy a softer spring? or cut this one to make it softer? How do I fix this?

Just in case anything I did to the gun could have caused this here is a list of all the modifications to the gun since it last fed, loaded, and shot properly...

New B&C stock
Glass bedded &
Lugs lapped

Thanks in advance.

I had some trouble when I put my 300 win mag in an HS Precision stock I bought off a guy. I bought the bottom metal too.

My problem was that after I would load three rounds in the magazine the first round would load fine but the second round would jump out of the action when I started to push the bolt forward. I was able to fix the problem by bending the feed lip inward just a little to keep the cartridge from jumping out. It has worked fine since.

Yes it has always been a 300 RUM, and I am unsure what the feed lip is? I have a friend that is going to look at it, usually he knows his stuff better than I do. In the mean time I will just be careful when shooting it.

Over the years I have had similar feeding issues with push feed type bolt actions. It's very difficult to determine whether the follower spring is too weak or too strong. With a push feed, timing seems to be the issue. Given the cartridges were properly sized to the magazine, and the feed ramps were smooth, the issue was in every case I had was a weakened magazine spring and a new spring solved the problem. Heavy cartridges, and prolonged use with a full magazine can fatigue the spring. Im not sure this is your issue, but it's cheap enough to try a new spring, and I would recommend this inexpensive attempt to solve the problem before altering the feed ramps or any other hard parts.IMO.

I would be checking to see if the mag box is binding when the action screws are being tightened.
I would first check that there is some play in the mag box now before doing anything else, then I would loosen the action screws just enough for the mag box to start to move, keep a finger or two in the box and feel if it is being pushed when you tighten the action screws, if it is under tension, you will have to relieve it, it must NOT bind in the stock.
If it is binding and forcing the follower to drag on the inside of the mag box, this can cause cartridges to pop out of the mag.
Another cause can be that the follower spring is on backwards/upside down, it is an easy mistake to do and easily fixed, just take it off and check the fit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.