Rem700 XCR 338RUM

caveman737

Ive got a problem whit acuracy, have fired 512rounds whit this rifle, I bought i new in fall2008.
I cant get groups under 1.5moa at 100meters (barbes 210grTTSX and 200grs north fork).
Worst is mach bullets like 250grs scenar and 250grs mk this bullets ive got 3-4moa.
Ive got several rifles and every one goes sub moa. But not this one.

Do I have to change my barell, is remington orginal barell realy so bad?.
Ive got a hs-precision varmitstock whit alu-block bedding.
Scope is a leupold 4,5-14x50 varmint reticle.

Can anyone give me some good advice please

Sorry if my english is bad, im from Norway and new in this forumgun)

The first thing I would do would be to super clean your barrel and remove all traces of copper. Then find a good gunsmith that has a bore scope and inspect the bore of your barrel. My first 338 rum factory barrel didn't make it to 500 rounds, but it had a cracked land and was copper fouling badly.

I would make sure the rifle is sound first. Are the action screws tight? Are the scope bases and rings tight?Is the trigger set at the ungodly poundage that remington deems lawyer proof?If it is get it changed by someone who is capable if you are not. H-S sells a great stock. Are you sure that the barrel is free and not pinchig anywhere? I have a 300ultra mag and I tried 13 differnt load combinations. I couldn't get it to shoot undr 1 moa at a 100yards. Then I went back to the basics and found that my scope base had come loose.
I hate to say it but Remington can and does make a bad barrel now and then. My brother had to get his muzzle crown redone before his ultra mag would shoot good. Check the basics. If that dosen't work seek out a creditable gunsmith and start finding the solution to your problem.

the barell is fri from the stok is for varmit barell, and action screws are tight 75lbs(reckomended by hs).
Scope mont and base are tight, got burris signature rings.
Trigger is well adjusted.
I allways remove copper and clean the barell very well after shooting. Not so much copper after 30rounds.

I also got silencer and recoilbreak, when I use these, the recoil feels like a 22-250, but accuracy are still not here.

regards
arnt
norway

You are handloadig I assume by the loads you listed in your thread. I would try "tweaking" or moving the bullet out further in increments to see the results.
Of course the another solution ( $$$) would be to get a new barrel installed.

did this gun used to shoot well? I would still check the bore with a scope, copper can build up on one land and mess with the bullets flight. What type of powder are you using?

I use norma and vhitauvori powder, also got some accurate 8700 but not tried this one yet (hard to find reloade data) got some 300grs woodleight for this powder

I have had good luck with Reloader 22, Reloader 25 and H-1000. H-1000 worked well with 250 grain bullets with around 98 grains of powder. I currently shoot 97 gr. of Reloader 25 in front of a 225gr accubond.

caveman737

I have a factory stock M700 LSS 338 RUM that shoots sub MOA. I started working with my nephews M700 XCR 338 RUM and it was a different story. I ended up putting shims in front of the recoil lug to free float the barrel. Groups went from 1.25-1.5" down to .7". I was working with the 250 gr PT and 250 gr AB bullets with Retumbo.
Here is what my rifle did-
338RUM250grABa.jpg

338RUM250grAB412.jpg

JD338

Wery good accuracy you got there, thats what Im loocking for. My barell is fri from the stock, got hs-precision varmint stock on my xcr.

My best group so far I had to day, it was whit 225 tsx got 1"
I dont understand why, mybe its my barell.

caveman737

A custom barrel with a blueprinted action will give you much better accuracy but every Remington 700 I have owned, as well as worked with, has shot under MOA. My nephews was the most difficult one I had to deal with.

It might just be that your rifle doesn't care for the TX. Give these loads a try-

225 gr Nosler PT
RL22 90.0 grs
best 3 shot group @ 100 yds .450"

225 gr Nosler AB
RL25 96.0 grs
best 3 shot group @ 100 yds .567"

I have started working with the New Nosler 200 gr E-Tip which shot under an inch but I left the target at the range so I didn't get an exact measurement. These bullets penetrate deep.
Nosler Reloading - ammunition, hunting, shooting, and performance reloading expertise from the source.

Hope this helps.

JD338

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.