Rem700 donor action

ATH

I'm looking to do a build and trying to get a Rem700 action to build off without spending dollars I could be spending on the more fun parts of the rifle. I've tried used gun racks and pawn shops, pickings are slim as rifles are not as common in this state as they are only legal for hunting when it comes to coyotes. Seems I can't beat $400 for the occasional action-only online or $350-$400 for a complete and basic 700 (ADL? can't remember designation).

What has everyone been doing to get their actions? Am I missing something?

ATH,

I got lucky this last fall, just before hunting season, I was able to pick up a Rem 700 ADL deluxe .30-06 for $335 from a local Pawn Shop. The guy happened to be in the mood to haggle over the price as They wanted $400 for it. It happened to be a "Safe Queen" as it hadn't been handled much, but due to it's age (1970 build), and the fact that they had 4 others that were considerably newer, they wanted a sell.

Most of the time I'm seeing the same prices you are. 4 years ago, I did pick another Rem700 ADL Classic .30-06 from a diffrent pawn shop that had been carried alot, and had ridden in the gun rack of an old pickup. Somebody had also spray painted the Walnut stock (which had some pretty nice figure) a matte black. They wanted only $225 for it and I got it for $200. A little work refinishing it got my Brother-in-law his first hunting rifle.

The deals are out there. I try to keep a little $$$ to take advantage of a "deal", but they are far apart and lately I don't have my Stash money.

Some times you can come across a Rem 700 ADL with a Synthetic stock for cheap as well. They make good builders too.

Dan

Late summer I started to build a custom, I found a old BDL for $405 shipped.
I then tore it apart sold the floorplate, mag box, and follower for $130.
Sold the stock for $50. Sold the borken sights for $11.
That left me with $214 in a action and a cheap scope.
I looked for at least a month.

If your planning to have the action blue printed during the build you will be FAR better of going with a custom action.

I just built a (308nate actualy) a 308 on a Phoenix Machine reciever with PT&G bolt.

$415 for reciever with side bolt stop and double pinned recoil lug
$235 for PT&G bolt , includes welding of handel , firing pin assembly and Sako extractor kit
$650-ish for the custom action , that you can order with a full round reciever and smaller target port which increases the stiffness , longer barrel tennon , heavier tang all increase the strength of the action , and even a right bolt left port if you want it !!

$350 for Rem 700 if you get a deal
$200 for a basic blueprint and probably another $150 for a bolt sleeve ,right their your above the cost of the custom action and all you have is a remington built the way it should have been plain and simple , that not counting a Sako extractor , side bolt release , costom bolt handel TIG welded on , scope base holes opened to 8-40 , add all that up and your well over a grand in a factory action of which you will probably one be able to sell for $500 if your lucky !!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.