Rem 770?

coop2564

I was given a 770 in 7RM. I have a great 7RM already, are these action worth anything to build on?
Gun has less than 50 shots thru it. Was thinking maybe turning it into .264 WM or what other options? Would the bolt work on a 300wsm? Reviews don't sound to good on them. Trigger is not bad 3.5 just a touch of creep, stock is junk for sure.

I agree with everyone else... Exactly what I was going to say.

The 2 rifles Remington made that you should stay away from are the 710 and 770. They are in NO way a 700, and should have never been allowed to use the 700 monicker...They were pure junk.

The last 770 I shot was a .270 that belonged to a buddy (his 700 got stolen, his uncle replaced it with a 770 thinking it was the same thing). It was shooting BAD, and he thought maybe it was him, but wanted me to shoot it to verify. Best I could get was 6" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo. It would not cold-bore zero either. It was literally the WORST accuracy from a rifle I've ever shot.

I have a rem 770 in 243 that shoots great. It's not as good as it once was but has almost 3000 rounds through it now. Was a true 1/2 min gun for the first 1600 rounds. Shoots about 1 moa now

I had a set of them for a while in .30-06 and 7RM for guys that wanted to hunt with me but didn't own a hunting rifle appropriate to the task. They were decent enough. Light and powerful. 1 1/2 inch groups with core-lokt level ammo wasn't unachievable among them. I just sold them off as that whole need dwindled. It's not like they were meant as high volume or target rifles. Just workable hunting rifles that were in price points a guy without much more than 2 pennies to rub together could see his way to saving up for.

I wouldn't stick any money into it.

Options?
Keep it and use it as is if you're happy with it.
Sell it and put your money into something else.
Keep it and use as a back up gun or one you're willing to borrow out if needed.

My first hunting rifle was a 770/scope combo. It has killed lots of hogs. Unbelievably, I just yesterday re-zeroed a scope on it and shot a 4-shot .25" group, with two shots in the same hole. (100 Yards). Had to shoot a fourth shot because I couldn't figure out where the second shot hit. I have three .270s and a .308, and this 770 shoots as well as any, better than some. But I agree that I wouldn't put any money into it. I just got lucky with this one, I think.

I have a rem 770 in 243 that shoots great. It's not as good as it once was but has almost 3000 rounds through it now. Was a true 1/2 min gun for the first 1600 rounds. Shoots about 1 moa now
My daughter has one in .243 and the first load put through it shot .5" groups at 100 yards. Done!
They are a throw away but it only gets about 20-50 rounds a year through it. Should last her a long time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.