Rem 700 XCR

Silvertipgrizz

I have a Remington 700 XCR chambered in a 338RUM, I wanted to change the stock so i bought a Hogue stock. I got the new stock on but see the barrel is hugging the left side of the stock. My guess is this is gonna affect accuracy so i need some suggestions as to how to fix this? Hogue makes a recommendation but im not gonna go there. Any thoughts?

I have a thought but you might not like it. Send the Hogue stock back and get your money back!

This is just my opnion of course but you will be much better served with a stock from mcmillan, manners, hs percsion, grey bull etc than one from Houge.

Used stocks are all over the boards

Thanks for the reply, any one of these you feel is better than the others? Or does it boil down to personal preference?

Any one of the stocks mentioned by ICANHITHIMMAN are good quality stocks. I have only used HS precision and McMillan stocks which are my personal preferences. For a McMillan you are looking around $500 and HS you are looking at about $400 and depending on what you order might get the HS faster, McMillan expect a decent wait. If I was in you shoes replacing a stock on a factory gun I would go with the HS which has an aluminum bedding block and have it bedded.

The Greybulls are a good looking stock at a good price. I think Greybull and Len (on this site ) both have them in stock. No waiting. Just another option. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.