REM 700 front sight post

Steel Rain

Hey fellas. I have a Remington 700 7RM that I inherited. I want to change the stock and coat the action and barrel with a yet to be determined finish. The weapon shoots well as is . However I just want to clean it up a bit. The barrel has a front sight post on it that I would like to remove. Is this possible without damaging the barrel? I google searched on this site but didn't come up with any definite answer for a Remmy. I've also browsed other forums but find LRH to be my best resource for info. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Have a good one.

There is one obvious screw that I have taken out. I have yet to tap the dovetail sight post out. I have read that you are to tap in a particular direction. Once the sight is tapped out there is another screw to be removed I think (I've read). I haven't done it because I didn't know which part might be brazed in. I just wasn't sure if I should just let a gunsmith take care of it or if it is something I can tackle. Thanks for your reply.

There is one obvious screw that I have taken out. I have yet to tap the dovetail sight post out. I have read that you are to tap in a particular direction. Once the sight is tapped out there is another screw to be removed I think (I've read). I haven't done it because I didn't know which part might be brazed in. I just wasn't sure if I should just let a gunsmith take care of it or if it is something I can tackle. Thanks for your reply.

Well best of luck maybe post a pic so the guys gan see what you got for sure

There is in fact another screw under the front sight post in the dovetail cut. The dovetail is tapered so should come out in the correct direction. I don't remember the direction off the top of my head but you can measure the slot or cut and drive the post toward the larger side with a brass punch. You can fill the holes with regular 6-48 filler screws from the scope base holes in the action.

Tap it out from the left side to the right. (your left as if you were holding the rifle).

Use a brass punch on the top portion of the site at the dovetail and support the site base with a piece of hardwood to avoid damage to the parts. Might want to spray some penetrating oil on it first if it has been on there a long while.

Thanks Sighter. I was going to post some pics but it sounds like you've done it before. Haven't had a chance to get to it. Work and family have kept me busy. Have a good one!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.