Rem 700 "Embellished" receiver

preacherman

Rem 700 \"Embellished\" receiver

...was wondering if "embellishment" on a rem 700 receiver would create any problems in blueprinting the receiver; my assumption is that no outside surfaces would be machined... thanks so much... Larry

Re: Rem 700 \"Embellished\" receiver

You are correct , the only thing is that some smiths may "mar up" some of the ingraving depending on how they chuck the reciever in their lathe.

JDJones,

IF they mar up the receiver durning accurizing you need to find another smith!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

THis would not be acceptible in my opinion!

No the embelishments will not effect any accurizing process on the receiver.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I agree 100% Kirby , I have personaly never had one of my actions boogered up but I have seen a few guns that have.
One had such evident jaw marks from the 3jaw chuck it almost looked like sombody tried to checker it and another I saw had 8 deep circles in it all 45 deg from each other around the action itself , I guess the guy that build the gun had a jig made up so he could get the action running true on the bolt raceway he just tighened the adjustment screws to much , the gun shot great but the finish was BAD

Larry,

It depends on how the receiver is mounted in the jig and the design of the jig itself in some cases. Not all actions are trued up in the type of jig Kirby and I use and I suggest you might ask him what he does to protect the outside surface. Copper, aluminum, or brass should be between the fixture's alignment bolts and your action.

As, or more important "to me", is an understanding of how your action is trued... so you know it really is true, and not your smith just thinking/saying it is, or that it's close enough, or he makes it worse God forbid.

I'm "not" saying that you will "not" end up with a perfectly trued action and his method of achieving this is not sound but, I am saying most (probably 98+%) smiths (there's a bunch out there is why) out there do this

incorrectly (for a number of reasons), and/or they skip certain things they deem unnecessary. You pay the price, and with this type of service you very rarely get what you pay for, or expect.

Back to your point though, most smiths will ensure your finish is not altered, as is expected of them.

Brent Moffit

I agree totally.

I use a pad of two sided cardboard, one side rough(against receiver) the other side slick finished(away from receiver) and then between each of the 8 adjustment bolts I use a brass washer between the aluminum pad on the bolt and the cardboard shim.

The cardboard grips the receiver with the rough side very gentelly but still more then metal to metal. The slick side allows the adjustment bolt to be turned and will rotate easily because of this slick surface.

The brass washers offer more support then the aluminum pads as they will not deform as easily if riding on sharp edges. Also they will not leave a mark that can not be easily removed.

I get a kick out of these custom rifles that have Jaw marks on the receiver, Any receiver accurized this way is not truely accurized.

I also am amazed at the numbe rof Custom barrel work I see with the barrels having a long scratch down the side of the barrel from a chuck jaw.

Not that this never happens but if you allow it to leave your shop uncorrected, I feel this says a bit about not only your work ethic but also your self pride!!

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen (50)

Not to hijack Larry's post but I ahve a few questions for
Mr Allen and Mr Moffit if you guys don't mind? or maybe I could E-mail you fellas

What process and Jig do you guys use to grip you actions in the lathe and do you use the same deal to grip you barrel when its chambered to insure that its running true indicated off the bore rather then the outside of the barrel?

JDJones,

Will not speak for Brent but I believe we both use the Gre-Tan system. It is a roughly 8" long by 1" thick aluminum cylinder with two sets of four bolts. One on the front ring, one on the rear. These are used just as two 4 jaw chucks to hold the receiver suspended in the cylinder so that they can be adjusted so the receiver runs perfectly true to the axis of the bolt way.

For the barrel, after I take a truing cut with the barrel running between precision cut centers on the bore, one on the muzzle one on the breech, the barrel is then fitted and dialed in with the muzzle in my 6 jaw chuck holding the barrel by the portion that has just been cut perfectly true to the axis of the bore.

THe breech is held in place first by the live center, again percectly concentric to the axis of the bore and then the steady rest is brought into use and the fingured support the breech again on the dimensioned barrel shank which has heen cut perfectly true to the axis of the bore. Then the live center can be pulled back and the chamber an be cut.

There are several ways to fit a barrel and many that will result in a very quality product. This is not so with receiver accurizing. I have seen only one method which I would say is the correct way. Every other system I have studied had some area that was flawed to some degree as far as making perfectly true and square receivers.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I'll back up Kirby and Brent here also. Any smith that takes pride in his work would NOT let an action out the door with chuck mark or any kinda of mark from any of the build process no matter how he does it.

As Kirby said, I also use Greg Tannel's action jig, .705" reamer/mandrel with appropriate bushings to dial it in with.

Chambering is done through the headstock and copper is also placed between the spider and chuck jaws. Yes, barrel is indicated off the bore not the bbl OD.

I read that Gordy Gritters uses a 4 jaw chuck at the back of his lathe spindle to indicate concentricity on the bore to be sure it is absolutely parallel with the spindle as well. Is this something you guys do or is it overkill? When I was a machinist (never was a gunsmith) I would true up an ID instead of an OD but never had the need to check for parallel with the spindle axis.

Since you 3 smiths are looking in on this post, Do any of you have an extractor clip ( the band that holds the extractor to the bolt. Sorry I don't know the official name.) for a ruger m77 ultralight w/ rear tang safety you would sell me? Mine is mis-shapen and drags a little when working the bolt forward and backward.

4ked Horn,

Gordy is a great smith using the correct method to dial in a barrel. It is not the ONLY "correct" method though.

Each Lathe will be different in what system works best. My personal lathe is very large and as such with the the Bcuk 6 jaw chuck in place the barrel would need to be 36" to even reach the back of the spindle bore. As such I use the method I do. The muzzle bor eis perfectly dialed in at the chuck and the breech bore is centered off the live center and then supported by the steady rest.

The key is getting both ends of the bore dialed in, how this is done is of little importance as long as it is accomplished for chambering.

What Gordy is doing is certainly not over kill, it is the correct way.

I do not have an extractor retaining clip for a M77. Can the original be stoned down to work properly without thinning to much?

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts