Rem 700 drop mag to BDL change

specweldtom

I may be the only one on the site that prefers the BDL bottom metal over the drop mag setup. If you're interested, it can be done.

The reason I wanted to do it was I didn't want to cut the mag release notches in a very nice CDL stock (from Stocky's) that I put on to replace the tupperware stock. Remington opens the frame rails wider on the drop mag receivers, and a BDL box and follower won't work with them, but the BDL floor metal does.

Emailed Remington. They don't have a conversion kit, and don't intend to make one. Wyatt's makes a centerfeed box and follower, but I believe they are for the BDL configuration, not the drop mag. They are expensive enough that I wasn't inclined to try one.

You need the extra height of an ADL box, so I started with one. 8 hours later, I had pretty much trashed it, but learned enough to believe it could be done if a basic mistake was avoided. I had cut down the back wall of the box and never recovered from it.

Started fresh with a second ADL box and ended up about 5 hrs later with a completely flat follower and an ADL box converted to center feed that would hold 3 rounds of .30-06 and feed them flawlessly.

If anyone wants to do it, let me know on this post or by P/M. I took some pictures, but have never mastered getting them on the board.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.