Rem 700 DBM converted to BDL?

bocephus1963

So.....I posted this on the 7mm STW forum and it was suggested I ask here. I have a Remington 700 SS DBM in 7mm STW and I wanted to convert it to BDL. I acquired a stainless bottom metal, spring and follower, and mag from a factory take-off in .300 mag along with the stock. I installed my barreled action to the BDL stock and bottom metal and everything fit perfect, but the shells won't stay in place. The first round goes in fine but as soon as I try to put in the second round all the shells pop out. I thought maybe the follower for a STW might be different, but another member mentioned he thought the receiver for a DBM was actually different from a BDL receiver and that it couldn't be converted. Is this the case? Everything fit together it just won't keep the shells in the mag. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Every DBM action, that has come through my shop, has had the "feed rails" machined out to allow the DBM to function. They will not function like a normal BDL.

So would this explain why the used take-off action (bare action, no bottom metal) I bought from a local guy for my .25-06 AI build, the bolt goes back past the BDL mag follower, and the follower pops up and prevents the bolt from pushing forward, unless there's a round in the mag, or you manually push down on the follower???

If so, is there any way to counteract this? Longer bolt stop/release?

Just got my Wyatt's center feed BDL magazine and installed it and it works perfect. So if anyone else out there has a factory DBM that they would like to convert to BDL simply order one of their center feed mags and you're good to go. Thanks to all for the great help and advice.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.