Rem 700 action is sitting in Devcon

With regard to the action sitting in Devcon: I see most guys recommend taking the action out of the stock before it really sets up, and then putting it back in. Can the action be cleaned up, and release agent reapplied when you do this to make the final phases of the bedding job easier?

Thanks

Frank D

I pulled the action out of the stock before the Devcon set up.

Half the Devcon stuck to the stock and the other half stuck to the action.

It wasn'pretty.

I put it back together without doing anything any prayed hard everything would come out ok.

It was getting late so I went to bed.

In the morning the action was quite well stuck in the stock. Didn't have too much time so I went to work.

Afterwork I pulled a little harder and the action came out of the stock.

Strangely enough the beddingin the stock looks great to me. (Novice, first timer.)

One thing no one told me was that there is a hole in the REM 700 action inside where the bolt lugs turn and engage.

On both my two bedding jobs I have had to clean epoxy out of there.

Seems the epoxy goes through the hole where the front action screw is threaded into the action. Sure glad my action screw didn't get epoxied in for life!

The stock and action seem much more secure now that there is epoxy all the way from the recoil lug back to the back action screw. Bedded the sides of the action too.

Time will tell if pulling the action out when the epoxy wasn't set up hurt the final cured strength of the epoxy. Hopefully the epoxy cured ok and doesn't fall apart.

Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.