Rem 700 300 Win Mag

DONTSTROKEME

My barnes book says that the 300 WM gets it's best performance out of a 24" barrel. Mine has a 24" barrel and I am thinking of going with a heavier barrel or possibly the other way and building it the lightest way. But what have you found the best length to be? Also what weight would perform the best?

Joe Oakes

I have a 300 win with a 22" barrel and I am 100-150 fps slower than the manuals and other guys I have spoken with. I am rebarreling probably to 26"

I have a 28.5" barrel on mine and I get 3375fps with 178gr a-max's. I have a few friends and that have 29's and I don't think it would hurt to have a 30" if you want to shoot 210 bergers. Depends what you want to use it for.

I had my 300 wm re-barreled by Hart and they recommended a 28" barrel. I went with their recommendation and shooting 200 accubond at 3006 feet per second. I am very happy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I would at least get a 26" tube so you could throw the 200g bullets at almost 3000fps. If you wanted to thrown the 210g VLD at almost 3000fps, it wouldn't hurt to have a 28" screwed on it. I would like to rebarrel my 7 RM to either 7 STW or 300 WM, both having 28" barrels and shooting the heavy for caliber VLD bullets. My purpose will be LR hunting out to 1000 yards though.

Remingtonman 25 06, I have a 30" 1-9 twist on my 7mmSTW and I love it. Just have to add a little weight to the stock yet to get it to balance a little better. I am building a 7mm-300win mag with a 27" lilja 1-10 twist for more of a truck gun and I will probably end up shooting it more than the STW because of the better brass and less brass prep.The coyote up here don't give you many chances within 500 yards but they think they are safe after that.

7mm-300 Win Mag. Very interesting. Shouldn't it be real close to the STW in performance?? Might have to take a look at that as you say, 300 WM has better brass quality then the STW. Never really thought of that little wildcat conversion. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Yah most coyotes around here are the same way. I think its because most pepole dont even bother to shoot at them that far, and if they do, they never come close way out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.