Rem 600 actions

They built benchguns on them years ago. They cant be that bad if they did that. I would think you would be limited to smaller cases. As far as stocks you could use a laminated stock and inlet yourself or your gunsmith. Matt

Harry Lawson Co here in Tucson used many of these lightweight actions (1 lb 15 oz) to build their early lightweight thumbhole rifles. They have a proprietary triggerguard with a crossbolt safety, bolt shroud and some other additions for the model 600 I cannot remember. ( the safety makes sense if someone is going to use a thumbhole) IIRC they also change the bolt handle but cannot swear to it. The package they build is extremely lightweight and quite beautiful. If nothing else you can call Randy and ask for a brochure on their offerings and find out what they do to a model 600 action.

520-326-1117

If they're complete rifles/carbines, and in very good or better condition, they're worth $$$$ to collectors as they've been out of production for quit awhile. If they're less than "very good" ,,,,,, well, aftermarket is very limited. Not sure if triggers made for the 700 will work , or not. I know the bolt release is different but there is an add-on for that. I'd have to measure the one in the shop to find out if SA 700 bottom metal will work, but I seriously doubt it. The originals have a blind magazine and cheap plastic trigger guard. Not my first choice for a 'custom build'. Evidently, triggers for the 700 won't work as Timney offers a seperate trigger for the 600. Scope mounts can be another issue, as only a few are available "off the shelf".

Last edited:
American Precision Arms built a 308 for me on a Rem 660 action. Steel trigger guard on a Mcmillian stock. Very nice little rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.