Reloder 26

I started at 82.0 g and stopped at 86.9 g of R-26. COL with 250 NAB was 3.675. I did another test at 86.6 g R-26 with a COL of 3.650: velocity was 2995 fps; accuracy was OK but not great. I need to adjust the load and/of COL, or the shooter to get better accuracy. Remember I have a 28" tube, and these results are for my rifle; yours may be different.
Good Luck.

I started at 82.0 g and stopped at 86.9 g of R-26. COL with 250 NAB was 3.675. I did another test at 86.6 g R-26 with a COL of 3.650: velocity was 2995 fps; accuracy was OK but not great. I need to adjust the load and/of COL, or the shooter to get better accuracy. Remember I have a 28" tube, and these results are for my rifle; yours may be different.
Good Luck.

Ok I got a chance to get to the range today to check out a few loads using RL26 and Hornady 143 ELDX bullets in my 6.5 Creedmoor.
26" barrel Nosler brass BR2 Primers 2.890"OAL
I tested with a Magnetospeed installed. Three shot groups. gun)

46gr. 2872 fps average vel. ES 13 SD 6.5
46.5gr 2908 fps average vel. ES 6 SD 3
47gr 2939 fps average vel. ES 10 SD 5.5
47.5gr 2954 fps average vel. ES 11 SD 5.85
48gr 2999 fps average vel. ES 12 SD 6.6
48.5gr 3029 fps average vel. ES 13 SD 6.65
49gr 3054 fps average vel. ES 19 SD 9.6 *
*this load was compressed I had to use a drop tube to get all the powder in.

48grs had best group of .216"ctc 49gr was not too bad at .567"ctc
group average center was same point of impact between 47.5 gr. and 49 gr.
I am going to work on loads up and down from 48 gr. and try longer and shorter COAL.
No sign of pressure observed and when I popped the primers from the 48.5 and 49 gr loads they were just as tight as the lightest load.
I will do all the rest of my load work up without the Magnetospeed installed and check velocity after I have arrived at the most accurate load.
Then I move on to distance.
Also I have 200 of the Nosler Accubond Long Range 142 gr bullets coming in to check out.

Those are some great numbers Bowfishn, I've been waiting for another post from you, I will pickup my new custom build tomorrow and it looks like I might need to get some RL26. I noticed in your post Nosler brass, did you ever get your Hornady brass in to try? or are you staying with nosler?

Those are some great numbers Bowfishn, I've been waiting for another post from you, I will pickup my new custom build tomorrow and it looks like I might need to get some RL26. I noticed in your post Nosler brass, did you ever get your Hornady brass in to try? or are you staying with nosler?

I got in some of the Hornady brass, it was about the same weight just a bit heavier and the cases varied 5 gr. total so I decided to stick with the Nosler. I got a 6" drop tube that allowed me to get the 49 grains of RL26 in without pushing the bullet back out. I didn't think I would be able to shoot the 48.5 and 49 grain charges because I thought I may see signs of pressure. From 46 to the 49 they all ejected fine no sticking cases and the primers and brass all look the same from the lowest to the highest, primers were tight and no marks on the head stamp. From what I saw I will try working around the 48 grain load up and down a few tenths as well as try seating depths. I think I can get ES and SD down some with better case prep. and my Digital Scale was not as accurate as the new 1010 I got. After getting it set up properly it is very easy to see plenty of movement with only one kernel of the RL26. The 49 grain load would make a great 100 to 600 yard hunter.

I may get some of the Lapua brass some day and check out loads with it.

I got in some of the Hornady brass, it was about the same weight just a bit heavier and the cases varied 5 gr. total so I decided to stick with the Nosler. I got a 6" drop tube that allowed me to get the 49 grains of RL26 in without pushing the bullet back out. I didn't think I would be able to shoot the 48.5 and 49 grain charges because I thought I may see signs of pressure. From 46 to the 49 they all ejected fine no sticking cases and the primers and brass all look the same from the lowest to the highest, primers were tight and no marks on the head stamp. From what I saw I will try working around the 48 grain load up and down a few tenths as well as try seating depths. I think I can get ES and SD down some with better case prep. and my Digital Scale was not as accurate as the new 1010 I got. After getting it set up properly it is very easy to see plenty of movement with only one kernel of the RL26. The 49 grain load would make a great 100 to 600 yard hunter.

I may get some of the Lapua brass some day and check out loads with it.

Thanks Bowfishn, I'm liking your numbers around the 48 gr. range.

The 46.5 is your best load with a es of 6 and at 6.5 284 velocity. If you go to lapua or Norma brass you will get way less powder.

I test a new load the other day going to try it next

147 eld m
44.0 imr 4955
WLR
Hornaday case
26" proof
2767 fps es 3
Shot .230 in wind at a 100

The 46.5 is your best load with a es of 6 and at 6.5 284 velocity. If you go to lapua or Norma brass you will get way less powder.

I test a new load the other day going to try it next

147 eld m
44.0 imr 4955
WLR
Hornaday case
26" proof
2767 fps es 3
Shot .230 in wind at a 100

"The 46.5 is your best load with a es of 6 and at 6.5 284 velocity"

So you can imagine what a 6.5x284 does with RL26.....

3K with a 140 grain bullets from a CM is smokin'....unless you have used Reloder 26 people think you are lying, your chrono is broken, or you are about to decapitate yourself.
It truly is a different kind of powder, works miracles in the .243 Win as well.
Firing a string will REALLY heat the barrel up and pressure will rise so pay attention, these are fine as hunting loads though.

....unless you have used Reloder 26 people think you are lying, your chrono is broken, or you are about to decapitate yourself.
It truly is a different kind of powder,
I was recently told that I had a miracle 270wsm barrel after I posted my velocity with 150gr vld and RL 26. I had to find my chronograph notes and post a picture of the actual page. I still believe that guy thinks I'm lying.

I had a hard time believing that kind of performance at first but my drops matched my chrono to 1000 on steel. ( that .277 cal bullet rang out hard at a grand! )

RL26 seems to increase velocity about 100 fps in a lot of the overbore cartridges. When I do the numbers on my 30-06 QL shows it won't do much good for me there, my current powder H205 is much better with the 165 gr bullets I use. It does show RL16 or RL17 to show promise in the 30-06 though. gun)

Wedge,
I know I shot the test from 44 to 47 and I don't know there accuracy other guys is?
But 46.5 was the best for me. With good es.

I'm just saying if accurate is better than speed. Just a few clicks on a file..lol

Im a believer after working up loads in my 6.5x55. Im getting 200 fps over what H4831sc and H1000 gave me in that cartridge. Im running a little over 2900 in a 22" bbl Tikka with 143 ELD-X. Speeds were verified with drop testing and Magnetto Speed Chrono.

I know for me in my 6.5 Creedmoor 48grs had best group of .216"ctc 49gr was not too bad at .567"ctc both had ES and SD that are doable and I am more than sure that with better case prep, neck turning and weight sorting as well as closer charge weight I can get the ES down.

46.5 had the worst group at almost 1" but the best ES.

I am going to go with working around the 48 gr charge and have speed and accuracy.
gun)

well ok how fare are you shooting? 100 y es don't count there. hell i shot .100 with a load with es 50s good to 300y, then is showed up..

play with the seating depth with around the 46.5 load.. and take it to 500 t0 800 will show you! 800 is a great range will only take one group..