H1000 and Reloder 26

jraulsten

I have used these two powders in multiple rifles and one of the differences I have noted (besides RL 26 being faster) is that I get copper build-up with RL 26 and zero copper with H1000 when using the same Berger bullets in each gun. The reason this strikes me as odd is that RL 26 claims to have a proprietary anti-coppering additive, while H1000 makes no such claim as far as I can tell. Has anyone else ever noticed this?

I don't know about those 2 per say, but I do know there is 1 powder manu that says they don't use "anti-copper" additives as they have tested and have not shown any significant advantage or reduction when it comes to copper fouling. (Can't remember what manu it was though)

I'm using H1000 and Berger bullets and I get plenty of copper fouling.

I guess you're just lucky

For some reason I always thought copper fouling was a barrel problem.
I'm sure the barrels are the biggest factor but I just tested it again today and got the same results. I'm not talking a lot of copper. Two to Three patches and one brushing with Bore Tech Eliminator and it's gone but I get zero copper with the H1000.

I'm sure the barrels are the biggest factor but I just tested it again today and got the same results. I'm not talking a lot of copper. Two to Three patches and one brushing with Bore Tech Eliminator and it's gone but I get zero copper with the H1000.

I use Retumbo in my Hart barreled 300rum and after break in I only clean it after the season. I use accubonds though.

Agreed, the barrel is probably the key to copper fouling. The barrel I'm currently using is an 8.5 twist Bartlien. It's a junker. Slow, inaccurate, and heavy.

Junk

Curious how much faster the load of rl26 is than your h1000 load...
Maybe there is the key...twisti,g the copper right off the bullet with a faster twist....

Curious how much faster the load of rl26 is than your h1000 load...
Maybe there is the key...twisti,g the copper right off the bullet with a faster twist....
In a 6.5 SAUM I get nearly 100 fps more with RL 26 than H1000.......And that is with one full grain less of RL 26.

My first thought was the same as 26Reload... maybe pushing the bullet harder generates more copper buildup in your particular barrel.

RL26 gives me good speeds but I have yet to find a "lights out" load with it. Seems temperamental.

My first thought was the same as 26Reload... maybe pushing the bullet harder generates more copper buildup in your particular barrel.

RL26 gives me good speeds but I have yet to find a "lights out" load with it. Seems temperamental.
I get close to 3150 with an 8 twist Brux and 57.8 gr RL26. Fastest barrel I've ever owned. Here is a 5 shot group from the other day.
20180615_125203.jpg

Try different primers and make sure your seating depth is nutted. CCI250s are my "go to" with RL26. The CCIs consistently test better overall in my RL26 loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.