reloading with hornady brass

Chappy22

Hello i am having a hard time resizing casings for the 338 lapua. I am using redding dies and hornady brass and i was resizing virgin bras as some of them have dented necks so i just ran them through the resizing process. I am getting sticky casings when reloading and yes they are lubed up good. The sticky casings are coming out with dents in the angle part of the shoulder. There are no cracks or any severe damage and i plan on using a neck sizing die after they are all fired once. I took the dies apart and lubed the inside and still had the same problem im not sure what is going on. Any tips or things to try would be greatly appreciated!

How dented are the case necks? If the dents are minimal, you probably don't need to resizing it especially if loading boat tailed bullets.

If you have dents on the shoulders of the brass after resizing, it means you have lubed them excessively. You need a little lube inside the mouth and just a little on the shoulder and neck of the case and a bit more lube on the body.

Also, what kind of lube are you using? If it's Hornady One Shot, then for a case of the size you speak of, I'd suggest something different like Imperial Sizing Wax.

I use rcbs lube and i did try lubing the inside of the mouth but maybe i had too much lube on the casings i will have to watch that next time. The dents aren't significant but i like to use the deburring tool on them so thats why i was resizing them. The casings should go back to normal after they are fired right?

RCBS lube works OK but is a bit messy in my opinion. I use Imperial Sizing Wax by putting a little on my fingers and applying it with my fingers to the case. You only need a little bit and if you use it like that, you probably won't have a problem with dented cases.

Also, the dents will smooth out when you fire the cartridges and your brass will be back to normal.

Hello i am having a hard time resizing casings for the 338 lapua. I am using redding dies and hornady brass and i was resizing virgin bras as some of them have dented necks so i just ran them through the resizing process. I am getting sticky casings when reloading and yes they are lubed up good. The sticky casings are coming out with dents in the angle part of the shoulder. There are no cracks or any severe damage and i plan on using a neck sizing die after they are all fired once. I took the dies apart and lubed the inside and still had the same problem im not sure what is going on. Any tips or things to try would be greatly appreciated!

The dented shoulders are definitely too much lube. It doesn't take much! I would use a dry lube for the inside of the case mouth. Powdered moly is best or graphite if you can't find moly. I use a Q-tip to apply .....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.