Reloading- What pressure signs do you stop at?

I've only seen two catastrophic rifle failures. Both came from using the wrong caliber ammunition.
A guy thought his Browning was actually a 308 when it was actually a 270. 270 Win was printed on the barrel. So he shot a 308 bullet in it. Broke the extractor off and cracked the bolt lug. Also flowed hot brass into every crack around the bolt.
The other was a Browning 270 WSM that had a 7mm08 bullet fired in it.. it blew the stock into 4 pieces but the metal was un damaged. How the guy and his daughter weren't seriously hurt is a miracle. It was violent.
Both of these were inspected, repaired, and still in service.
I know none of this involved reloading. But it sure is an attention getter to know what can happen if you push to hard.

I've only seen two catastrophic rifle failures. Both came from using the wrong caliber ammunition.
A guy thought his Browning was actually a 308 when it was actually a 270. 270 Win was printed on the barrel. So he shot a 308 bullet in it. Broke the extractor off and cracked the bolt lug. Also flowed hot brass into every crack around the bolt.
The other was a Browning 270 WSM that had a 7mm08 bullet fired in it.. it blew the stock into 4 pieces but the metal was un damaged. How the guy and his daughter weren't seriously hurt is a miracle. It was violent.
I know none of this involved reloading. But it sure is an attention getter to know what can happen if you push to hard.
I would love to hear an educated estimation of the pressure on those 2 instances

I use large-for-caliber cases (.264 Win Mag, 28 Nosler, 300 Lapua Magnum); slow, relatively temperature-stable single-base (Retumbo or H1000) powder, moderately heavy-for-caliber projectiles, and long (32") barrels.

I look for a barrel accuracy node at 54,000 - 58000 psi or so. Usually wind up at around 3200 fps muzzle velocity. After I get the best jump figured out, I usually don't have to worry about heat checking spreading so fast in my barrel that I'm always having to dink with my load to stay at best accuracy.

More speed is always better, but with the bullets I shoot, 3200 fps muzzle velocity is enough for good terminal performance at 600 yards. So to me it's not worth the hassle and risk of running over-pressure. Just get a bigger case or a longer barrel if you need more speed.

Point well taken! However, for a "hunting rifle" 32" is extremely unwieldy, unless hunting in a stand type situation!

If a hunter (walking, stalking, hiking) chooses a 32" tube…..I strongly suggest a Ruger #1 type action, to keep the firearm overall length at a practical length! JMO! memtb

I have a couple of short range woods guns that I shoot offhand. I don't worry too much about muzzle velocity in those rifles.

For longer range situations shooting off a bipod or tripod, the long barrels aren't as unwieldy as I had feared they would be. In fact it helps get the point of balance (for a tripod-friendly section of ARCA rail) a little ahead of the magazine!

Neither of these were " pushed too hard".

Neither of these were " pushed too hard".
They absolutely were! Not by hand loading, but wrong ammo creates an over pressure situation too.

On top of wrong ammo, I have seen a large number of guns that were destroyed with hand loads. I have been at the range when this has happened, lost count over the years of how many locked up to blown up guns I have seen happen in person. I do recall that I had to administer first aid to 4 people this happened to. Makes me wonder where all the guys that do that are these days. You rarely see anyone posting about how they did it. :)

Dean2…..there's a vast difference between being "pushed too hard" and the negligence of using the wrong ammunition ! The end result may be the same…..the pathway vastly different! memtb
They would both be considered negligent if a family member filed on you if someone got hurt or killed from ammunition you loaded. Not a good position to be in for sure. one reason I never shoot any ammunition handloaded by anyone but myself nor do I handload for anyone else.

How to fire form bullets... yes bullets not brass... here is how to fire form a .308 caliber down to a .224.

They would both be considered negligent if a family member filed on you if someone got hurt or killed from ammunition you loaded. Not a good position to be in for sure. one reason I never shoot any ammunition handloaded by anyone but myself nor do I handload for anyone else.

That's reaching, but still a valid point! memtb

When I bought a 240 wby it came with 200 rds. of reloaded ammo previous owner was 87+. I went against my rule of not shooting others reloads 1 shot almost didn't get the bolt open, just glad it was a old German 9 lug Wby.

Recent Posts