Reloading Table, Overhang Top or Not?

tbailey1

I'm getting ready to build an 8 ft long reloading bench and was wondering if I should leave a 4 inch overhang in the front. I think it may help keep the knees from bumping up against the lower shelf. I also plan to use the Ultra Mount from In-line Fabrication so the overhang is not absolutely necessary. Any advice is much appreciated.

It makes it easier to mount your presses and tools provided that you build it strong enough so that it doesn't flex under load. I built my bench tops from 2x6. I have a 6" overhang and wish that I'd built more, 1ft possibly more. I can't sit up close enough unless I sit at an angle. Pulling on a press handle hard like for case forming is uncomfortable.

Mine doesn't have an overhang, but I have mine open under the press (no shelving under). I also have a cabinet door under my single stage, so I guess I have it both ways. I don't really see a difference.... Mine is 2x4 frame and 3/4" plywood top. If anything, I wish I'd gone heavier on the top, mine flexes.

In-Line-Fabrication work great for me. I use and will again use a 3'x6'8" solid core door as the top of the bench. You can add a steel plate under the press area to reinforce that area. Put the shelving to one side for storage. Leaving room for you legs. You will want to set the table up dead level both ways.
I had in the past set up a line to do my reloading. With the In-Line-Fabriction plates that stop the need for additional bench to attach other items or far less.
So I figure that I don't need an extend bench to reload with. I will need shelving to store my equipment in. Being the reloading equipment is on plates to move on or off the set up. That going to take some storage area for that. So somethinbg to think about.

Mine doesn't have an overhang, but I have mine open under the press (no shelving under). I also have a cabinet door under my single stage, so I guess I have it both ways. I don't really see a difference.... Mine is 2x4 frame and 3/4" plywood top. If anything, I wish I'd gone heavier on the top, mine flexes.
Add a steel plate under it and the bench. Lag it in. and drill holes where needed. The plate needs to extend back under the table to gain strength.

I'm getting ready to build an 8 ft long reloading bench and was wondering if I should leave a 4 inch overhang in the front. I think it may help keep the knees from bumping up against the lower shelf. I also plan to use the Ultra Mount from In-line Fabrication so the overhang is not absolutely necessary. Any advice is much appreciated.
I thought there was a thread on here. Where people showed their reloading rooms & benches. It was about the time I first signed onto this forum. But I have looked & can not seem to find it. They really had some awesome ideas. From space saving ideas. To how they built their benches & rooms. I really wish someone could steer me to that thread wherever it may be ? I really liked the roll top desk someone used for a space saver idea. And it was so clean & out of sight (not visible to wandering eyes). And then a few others were using doors for bench tops, because it was cheaper than butcher block or building a top. A lot of them used the In-line systems also. I would have to say it was the best thread I ever spent my time looking at. The imagination used by some was just simply beautiful. I believe this was when Primal Rights built his own cabinets for his room. Any reference to this thread would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Abrams, I remember that thread and thinking that a spotless bench is a sign that it isn't used much or how long did it take to clean it up?
Jokes aside, I couldn't find it either and I know it existed.

Mr. Abrams, I remember that thread and thinking that a spotless bench is a sign that it isn't used much or how long did it take to clean it up?
Jokes aside, I couldn't find it either and I know it existed.
Birddog 68 steared me in the right direction. There are actually a few different ones. But I believe this is the one I was referring to.

Last edited:
Appreciate everyone's comments. Next question is how deep would you recommend not counting cabinet space?

I have a 25 inch deep by 8 ft long butcher block I plan to use for the table top. I plan to add a couple stacked 3/4" plywood behind the butcher block for cabinet space. The depth of those will depend on how much overhang I have with the Butcher block. That's my "preliminary plan". :)

Mine is 24" wide and I used children's book cases that are 6" deep for my shelves behind my work surface. I got mine from a second hand store. They're solid wood and cheap, simple and stable no matter how much weight, loaded ammo, components, tools, presses (big ones are heavy), etc. I didn't put doors on mine so I can see everything instead of searching for thi gs that I don't use but once in a blue moon. By the way, mines a terrible mess but that's my fault.