reloading help

RajnCaucasian

Hi guys I'm fix in to get into reloading. I'm looking for help on purchasing reloading equipment, does anyone have input on what brand of equipment to purchase? I only wanna do this once for the most part. Calibers I will be reloading are 223,308,243,300rum,338lap mostly all rifle rounds I'm not worried about pistol rounds at this time. Thanks for any help

gun)

"...does anyone have input on what brand of equipment to purchase?"

Everyone does, including me, but I've been doing this since '65 and don't often tell what I use because you're a new guy and what YOU will need is different from what I need! Fortunately, all our makers produce very good gear so there's no way you can 'go wrong' no matter what brand you get. I can assure you that any truly experienced reloader buys his tools by individual features rather than brand! And believe me, price is no guide to anything but cost. Pick each tool as your budget allows and know that - if your use it correctly - the only real limit to the quality of the ammo you can produce will be yourself and your components (especially the cases and bullets).

You will NOT need the complexities of a turret or progressive press, get a basic single stage and avoid the 'quick change' die bushing gimmicks from Lee and Hornady. There's no reason to lock dies into a press with a wrench and you will quickly be able to hand screw & swap dies in less than a minute.

It will take a long time for any new guy to gain sufficent skill to outgrow common dies and few people ever get good enough - or have sufficently accurate rfiles - to benefit at all from the more costly dies that get touted on the net. All ammo is made inside the dies, the press simply pushes the cases into and pulls them out of the dies so press arguments really center on personal tastes and some snob appeal rather than actual results. All dies are made to produce ammo within the SAAMI specifications so there's just as much tolerance difference between dies of the same brand as there is between brands.

Decent digital scales tend to be pricey and are no more accurate than a beam scale, nor are digitals any real help for speed. Look at the mid-range beam scales from RCBS and Dillon, they are made by Ohaus and that's a very good scale maker.

nothing to add except get yourself a good manual and I suggest
a Lyman new edition.I think they have a lot more information
for someone just getting into the game...John:D

"You will NOT need the complexities of a turret or progressive press, get a basic single stage and avoid the 'quick change' die bushing gimmicks from Lee and Hornady. There's no reason to lock dies into a press with a wrench and you will quickly be able to hand screw & swap dies in less than a minute."

The above is good advice from Boomtube.

I think another good aspect of starting with some of this mid-range equipment is that it is easier to setup and get going. For example standard full length or neck only re-sizing dies are easier to setup and less confusing than the more expensive bushing type dies. This allows you to save a few bucks, and enjoy things a little quicker. Later on you will have a better idea of what you really need you reloading equipment to accomplish for you and can make more knowledgeable decisions when/if you decide to upgrade your equipment. And you will appreciate the upgraded equipment more as you will really understand what that new equipment brought to your reloading table.

Warning! Reloading is addictive. :D

My suggestion would be get several reloading manuels,and read them! Not all the data but the beginning of the books that explain the process and more importantly how things work and why. This will help you decide on what you want out of reloading and if it's for you. Also will give you a better idea on what equipment you will need. only one Manuel is needed at first but being able to cross reference load data can be invaluable. And yes like said it is very addicting.....also it would be wise to find some one in your area that has been reloading for some time to mentor, dont be afraid to ask questions.

Another thing; approach this hobby with at least a bit of trepidation as you CAN make your rifle blow up if you push the envelope or aren't carefull!!!

Boomtube is very correct that you don't need (or want in my opinion) to go with the bells and whistles like the turret presses and digital scales; at least to start with. I use a rockchucker single stage press and beam and balance rcbs scale and I always will (20 years and going). I also use standard FL dies and get 1/2- 2/3 moa accuracy out of any rifle worth its salt.

I heartily agree with all said previously, but would like to add a quickie: If at all possible, try to find and befriend someone with reloading experience to guide you and keep you safe from boogers at first. Also, it'll give you a reference point that doesn't depend on the internet.

Good luck and enjoy,
Rick

Last edited:
Don't be complacent. DO follow instructions. Do what boomtube says. I have been doing this for alittle over 15 yrs. Still have the same RCBS rockchucker that was 10 to 15 yrs old when I got it. And my main dies are rcbs and lee. you are going to love it.

I heartily agree with all said previously, but would like to add a quickie: If at all possible, try to find and befriend someone with reloading experience to guide you and keep you safe from boogers at first. Also, it'll give you a reference point that doesn't depend on the internet.

Good luck and enjoy,
Rick

I agree with the above...You never know who is feeding you bull on the web.

Could be some jack *** sitting in an attic and just telling you things...Once you have been loading for a few years,you learn to pick up on some of the bull...Never use someone's load in your own untill you check it out..:rolleyes:

Amen Lefty. A rockchucker is an EXCELLENT choice. I would add that the Redding dies are an equally good choice. Main thing to remember is go slow and read all you can until you are confident,then read some more. Prudent is the word i think of when reloading is the game. One mistake is all it takes to ruin a rifle/shooter. Not trying to scare you off by any means. Use common sense. GOOD LUCK. ........SEMPER FI

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.