Reloading for the new .277 Fury from Sig

Yeah, the original article from a couple years ago as well as the ones others have posted on here suggested that there would be 2 versions of the ammo, and possibly brass components, for Mil/Civ. The fact that they have now decided to make the 80k psi avialable to Civ is new, and they still may make separate all brass cases at the normal SAAMI pressure ranges in the 60k area.

However, the direct quote from Sig in the 2nd article you reference from my post is not wrong. It's a direct quote. The Sig Cross is made by Sig to withstand the pressures of the 277 (80k psi), you said so yourself, and so did they, which I quoted. Therefore, the Sig made rifle is the exception, not the rule. This ammo should NOT, per Sig, be fired from a rifle not intentionally built to withstand those pressures. In other words, don't rebarrel your Remington 700 for this round. I don't need to call Sig, they already provided the quote.
Agreed. Didn't see the Cross in there. I just see alot of misinformation on this thread. People seem to be confused.

Can't believe I haven't seen the popcorn eating antelope yet....
Sorry Brother, my bad, here you go ...

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

Now that is funny, and I'm sure @FEENIX is already a bag or two into his evening, along with a whiskey.

I had a dark beer on a lunch date with my wife. I have a couple more hours of study session and then a couple of well-deserved shots or so of Scotch.

Agreed. Didn't see the Cross in there. I just see alot of misinformation on this thread. People seem to be confused.
Indeed- I think there's been a lot that changed from inception of the round and platform a few years ago to where it was adopted by the military, and eventually, SAAMI. Bottom line seems to be that you can buy the ammo (no components yet) that has the 3 piece case, proprietary powder blend, etc....but you shouldn't shoot it unless your rifle is bigger and better than it probably is (ie- made by Sig).

I love Sig and like to see them doing well and winning contracts- my Mk25 is my favorite pistol, and I was a 1911 guy for YEARs. I'd like to own some of their newer rifles, but man they are spendy!

And now, I'm off to enjoy a bourbon and pay attention to my six string, which I don't practice nearly enough.

To add to what 2buffalo said, any modern bolt action that can be chambered for a .300 Winchester Magnum (65k psi) can handle the bolt thrust from the .277 Fury (80k psi). If you know the physics and can do the math, the bolt thrust on a .300WM is approximately 11% MORE than the .277 Fury. That isn't even going to the Nosler, RUM, Norma Mag, Lapua, etc. cartridges. Even SIG has said the Model 700 action is strong enough to handle it.

The problem at 80k psi isn't the action or the bolt lugs, it's the case head. That is the reason for the three piece case with the steel case head as it will not stretch and deform the way a brass case head will at those pressures.

That said, you do not want to just rechamber any rifle that chambers .308 to .277 Fury. Some are just barely safe at .308 pressures and could come apart at .277 Fury pressures.

Last edited:
Yeah. The title of this thread was to address availability of components for this new caliber. Maybe we should think about that. This may be a good time to start a new thread on this important subject. Hmmmm...

I'm waiting to see more info from SIG about reloading the three part case past the "we're working on it" they said at Outdoor Retailer.

I'm really hoping it doesn't require something out of the ordinary like a new press or something weird like that. I wouldn't put that past SIG as another way to suck money out of us. 😃

Last edited:
I'm waiting to see more info from SIG about reloading the three part case past the "we're working on it" they said at Outdoor Retailer.

I'm really hoping it doesn't require something to put if the ordinary to require a new press or something weird like that. I would t put that past SIG as another way to suck money out of us. 😃
They have already intended to do just that chaging 7k+ for this new gun. Minus the can and mil ammo . I read they are trying to recoup costs by passing on development costs on us if the mil sales stretch doesn't recoup their money. Or something like that.

What constitutes your notion as an important subject?
Whether this new gun has details that are being misunderstood. Yes it is. Whether folks are not understanding these details. Yes they are. Whether Sig has done a good job of making the guns details very understandable, no they need work. Its very new. Details and data will shake themselves out as time goes on. As I remember, the "new M16" had its share of misunderstanding when it came out too. After all, if all with this new gun was understood, this conversation would not be happening.

Whether this new gun has details that are being misunderstood. Yes it is. Whether folks are not understanding these details. Yes they are. Whether Sig has done a good job of making the guns details very understandable, no they need work. Its very new. Details and data will shake themselves out as time goes on. As I remember, the "new M16" had its share of misunderstanding when it came out too. After all, if all with this new gun was understood, this conversation would not be happening.
Some people are ill-prepared to reload the existing cartridges due to the current situation of reloading components, and you want people to prepare and discuss something that is not even available to the civilian sector yet. What you noted exists because everything at this time is a WAG/speculations.

Some people are ill-prepared to reload the existing cartridges due to the current situation of reloading components, and you want people to prepare and discuss something that is not even available to the civilian sector yet. What you noted exists because everything at this time is a WAG/speculations.
Actually I don't and didn't! I started this thread, go look and read it, to address availability of reloading components for this new gun and about when we may see them. Are you kidding? Start reading what the original thread statement thread was. You might be able to stay on topic then. Have a good evening.

Actually I don't and didn't! I started this thread, go look and read it, to address availability of reloading components for this new gun and about when we may see them. Are you kidding? Start reading what the original thread statement thread was. You might be able to stay on topic then. Have a good evening.
Exactly my point, your thread title is "Reloading for the new .277 Fury from Sig" and below is your original post. You might want to read and comprehend your own post. How can you address the availability of reloading components when the new gun is not even out yet.
I read today that the new service rifle will be available to the public without the can and in .277 Fury instead of the 6.8. With Sig getting the nod from the Army to supply the new replacement for the M4/M16 and M60, how long will it be before we will see components?
Until the new gun, ammunition, and reloading components are out, "we" can only speculate, as evident by your responses.

Recent Posts