Reloading for the new .277 Fury from Sig

Which makes this cartridge even more lame. But it might be fun to neck it down.
Neck down to what? Dimension wise it's .308 necked down to .277 aka 6.8x51. Might as well shoot a 7-08 or .260 if you're not shooting at 80k psi.

I spoke with a Program manger for this project today what's unique about the whole thing is the projectiles and why they went 6.8 over 6.5. Payload ie AP capability is tantamount cause sapi plates are prolific now.

Neck down to what? Dimension wise it's .308 necked down to .277 aka 6.8x51. Might as well shoot a 7-08 or .260 if you're not shooting at 80k psi.

I spoke with a Program manger for this project today what's unique about the whole thing is the projectiles and why they went 6.8 over 6.5. Payload ie AP capability is tantamount cause sapi plates are prolific now.
Yes at 80k psi. This whole cartridge idea with the "6.8x51" is kind of lackluster at 60-65k psi in my opinion.

Exactly my point, your thread title is "Reloading for the new .277 Fury from Sig" and below is your original post. You might want to read and comprehend your own post. How can you address the availability of reloading components when the new gun is not even out yet.

Until the new gun, ammunition, and reloading components are out, "we" can only speculate, as evident by your responses.
Dont lecure me about my meaning! I know what I meant. I stated it. It's called speculation! What if. Planning on the future. Getting ready for the next thing. And whats wrong with that? It promotes discussion. Thats what forums like this do and should do. If its too soon to discuss these new subjects, ok, so be it. But there are components coming on line now/soon for this gun. But to suggest that the discussion be shut down or prohibited because were too early, no. Were you around when the issues about the "new" M16 came about when it was fielded? I was and it was a crap show at best. Oh yeah, that was around 50 years ago. But we are talking about a new gun that lots of folks are going to want to know about and get into. It's great that we may get the chance to take part in a new gun. And loading for will be fun and rewarding. I can't wait to see what it can do. Mostly, I am very hopeful and pray that our military has gotten a new weapon that will do the job they need and wanted. Its about time.

Dont lecure me about my meaning! I know what I meant. I stated it. It's called speculation! What if. Planning on the future. Getting ready for the next thing. And whats wrong with that? It promotes discussion. Thats what forums like this do and should do. If its too soon to discuss these new subjects, ok, so be it. But there are components coming on line now/soon for this gun. But to suggest that the discussion be shut down or prohibited because were too early, no. Were you around when the issues about the "new" M16 came about when it was fielded? I was and it was a crap show at best. Oh yeah, that was around 50 years ago. But we are talking about a new gun that lots of folks are going to want to know about and get into. It's great that we may get the chance to take part in a new gun. And loading for will be fun and rewarding. I can't wait to see what it can do. Mostly, I am very hopeful and pray that our military has gotten a new weapon that will do the job they need and wanted. Its about time.
BAM! There it is ... thanks for validating my point.
What you noted exists because everything at this time is a WAG/speculations.
Until the new gun, ammunition, and reloading components are out, "we" can only speculate, as evident by your responses.
spec·u·la·tion
/noun

• 1. the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence:
If "I" want to plan for the future to have this new gun and reload for it, the best "I" can do is to start saving for it now.

The ONLY difference between the military 6.8x51mm and the .277 SIG Fury is the projectiles. The military version uses a US Army designed 135gr bullet that is built around a specific armor penetrator. That bullet is not expected to be available to civilians. The case, pressures, etc. are all the same.
The cases are different.

Please stop saying things that are demonstrably wrong. Please see the link in post #64 (directly above) for the civilian three piece case.

Powder in the military loading is possibly proprietary to the military but that has nothing to do with the ability to reach 80k psi.

SIG also sells an all brass case version with a 135gr regular FMJ bullet (not a penetrator) that is a training round.
But can these 3 piece cases be reloaded? Time will tell.

BAM! There it is ... thanks for validating my point.

spec·u·la·tion
/noun

• 1. the forming of a theory or conjecture without firm evidence:
If "I" want to plan for the future to have this new gun and reload for it, the best "I" can do is to start saving for it now.

Wow! Did you figure all this out on your own? Or did you need help? Come on. This an open discussion here. We all need to be mindful of the people and issues presenting themselves here. Please!

You helped!
Yes I did. Did you ? Or do you just like to stir the pot and limit open discussion. If you want to say something try saying something that contributes to the open forum and not squash it. It's more than obvious there lots of folks out there who are completely and passionately invested in this subject. We all need to take a breather and realize this subject will be around for a while. It's a brand new gun. I would really like to know how this gun, and all the various aspects of it plays out. I wish the military all the luck that can be had in this endeavor!

Yes I did. Did you ? Or do you just like to stir the pot and limit open discussion. If you want to say something try saying something that contributes to the open forum and not squash it. It's more than obvious there lots of folks out there who are completely and passionately invested in this subject. We all need to take a breather and realize this subject will be around for a while. It's a brand new gun. I would really like to know how this gun, and all the various aspects of it plays out. I wish the military all the luck that can be had in this endeavor!
Yes, I did!
If you prefer to keep speculating, have at it. "I" do not like to speculate anything.

Last edited:
Yes, I did!

If you prefer to keep speculating, have at it. "I" do not like to speculate anything.
I like to see what's forthcoming. And "try" to be prepared, although I'm not always successful. But speculation and planning can always change. As the situation dictates. It seems you and I have gotten off to a somewhat awkward start in this forum. It was not intentional. I only wish the folks on this forum well with all the info available so the best decisions can be made. Stay safe and have fun.

Recent Posts