Reloading for friends

You can let them shoot your ammo but "producing" ammunition specifically for someone elses use gets into shaky legal ground not just on liability grounds. You cannot charge them anything for the service or you may be "manufacturing" ammunition which would require an FFL.

Good thoughts, just to be clear I'm asking about just helping out a buddy, not charging. But also having them pay for the materials so it just costs me my time.

IMO if its ammo for your friends gun regardless who is buying the components if its you putting them together etc your putting yourself in a position to be liable.

Now what are the real chances? Very small even if you blew a round up that someone would be hurt. The issue is you are on the hook. Only you know your friend etc so only you can decide and manage the risk.

Why not have it him come over and have him help. It takes care of the most blatant liability and you are able to pass on a skill. Maybe he will get hooked and want to get his own equip and start loading.

I have yet to teach a person to handload that does not end up really enjoying it and wanting to get there own setup.

I started my cousin in reloading... he bought his own set and we were load rounds together... he hated case prep... and taking time on it. I now have 2 sets of most things...

Good thoughts, just to be clear I'm asking about just helping out a buddy, not charging. But also having them pay for the materials so it just costs me my time.
I've done it for 2 friends. One bought the dies, brass, powder and bullets. The other reloads and just asked if I would try as he seemed to be having trouble with a load. He had all his own stuff. Just check all your loads on the way.

I'm curious, would you (not you specifically but anyone on this thread) let someone borrow one of your rifles with your reloads? It's kind of the same issue right?

I only have 2 rifles I would (have) loaned. Both shoot Federal blue box ammo well enough to hunt with. 243 and a 22-250. That is what is sent with them.

Friend of mine loads for me. I'm usually there too. Works good. We share dies if we build similar guns etc. All my supplies are stored on one side of the bench. Seems to work for us.

I USE TO reload for others LOOOOOONG ago but no longer for all the reasons already stated. Besides my sons, will loan firearms to three people only. Had a pretty good friend take strong offence of my changing my yes to a no on loaning him any of my rifles for a coyote hunt when I found out it was going to be done by a large group or groups of hunters driving hedgerows. I'm not kidding when I say he was visibly upset and insulted. I figured our friendship had suffered irreparable damage, but I shuddered when thinking of the potential for tragedy when people are shooting at a fast moving coyotes with high powered rifles in a group hunting and driving situation.

Found out soon after the hunt one guy accidentally wounded another while shooting at a running yote with a shotgun that the single "O" buck shot ricochet off of the ground (guessing most likely a rock) and wounded one of the other hunters. Not a life threating wound but required surgery none the less.

These days you simply can not risk the liability of loaning firearms unless absolutely certain you trust the person and then I wouldn't loan the rifle with my reloads to anyone other than my sons who only hunt with me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts