reloading equipment help

Nuclear Worker

This is probably going to open a can of worms but here goes. Looking at getting into reloading for my 6.5x284.What do you suggest for loader? Don't want a progressive. Scale,Full length dies,seating press. I know there is a lot of things I need . Want to buy once and cry once. Any help with this would be appreciated. I'm not afraid to spend the money for the right gear.

Start with a Redding Big Boss II. It has proper primer disposal, and with the optional primer tube assembly, makes primer handling convenient.

Forster dies.

That's an excellent start with top class equipment.

Forster Co Ax press (the best) a mec marksman or rcbs summit (also very good) get the best first no need to ever upgrade. Forster benchrest FL and Seating dies (the best) or redding's (also very good). Scale choice will get a ton of suggestions.....I prefer a balance scale. You picked a good cartridge to start with Good Shooting :)

Forster Co Ax press (the best) a mec marksman or rcbs summit (also very good) get the best first no need to ever upgrade. Forster benchrest FL and Seating dies (the best) or redding's (also very good). Scale choice will get a ton of suggestions.....I prefer a balance scale. You picked a good cartridge to start with Good Shooting :)
I am really liking the MEC, I concur with the rest as well

I am really liking the MEC, I concur with the rest as well
I was press shopping this winter, forster was going thru one of their dry spells with nobody having one in stock. I researched and did my homework......the Mec and the Summit were my choices from all I could gather. The Summit just happened to be where I got free shipping at the time, there is a good evaluation of the mec somewhere on this forum and it did quite well also. I call them both some of the new generation of improved presses that are appearing :)

I was press shopping this winter, forster was going thru one of their dry spells with nobody having one in stock. I researched and did my homework......the Mec and the Summit were my choices from all I could gather. The Summit just happened to be where I got free shipping at the time, there is a good evaluation of the mec somewhere on this forum and it did quite well also. I call them both some of the new generation of improved presses that are appearing :)
I like the looks of the Summit as well, how do you like it

I like it a lot, course to please me it has to make concentric ammo and be user friendly. Its doing both......grease fitting on ram, no primer residue on dies or ram, lots of fore and aft movement as well as lateral. Don't hang below bench and easy to adjust.

I started with a Rockchucker kit. With the addition of a couple die sets and components, I was loading the same day I bought it. I need to stress that I had been loading for several years on my BIL's equipment and under his supervision. Over the course of 35 years, I've upgraded components (digital scale/dispenser, trim center, powered case trimmer, calipers), but im still using the same press (RCII) and loading ammo capable of 1/2 moa accuracy. I fall in love with a new press model every year, but cannot justify it on a performance basis. If I were in the market, I'd probably buy the summit.

I'd like to recommend to you the Larry Willis Digital Headspace Gauge. I love mine!
A4D29949-55A5-49AA-B448-383104FE7F41.jpeg

I highly recommend the auto trickler. I have a V2 with the 419 upgrades, and the bluetooth board, which makes it effectively a V3. I also recommend Whidden dies. I also have Redding, but have come to prefer the Whidden.

I've reloaded for 30 years with 2 small bench top presses by Lee. Lee hand prime tool is a must. Get a set of Lee dippers and a simple Lyman scale to check the sanity of them. I have NEVER had an issue with this set up and you do NOT need to spend and spend and spend more $ on what people call better name brand equipment. Dippers are the absolute king and wish I had switched 15 years earlier than I did. Get the Lyman cartridge OAL go...no go gauge. Outside of the few case prep tools you'll need, you are about ready.

I started with a Rockchucker kit. With the addition of a couple die sets and components, I was loading the same day I bought it. I need to stress that I had been loading for several years on my BIL's equipment and under his supervision. Over the course of 35 years, I've upgraded components (digital scale/dispenser, trim center, powered case trimmer, calipers), but im still using the same press (RCII) and loading ammo capable of 1/2 moa accuracy. I fall in love with a new press model every year, but cannot justify it on a performance basis. If I were in the market, I'd probably buy the summit.
This is all you need dude! I'm still using this exact setup that my dad passed down to me off a bench he built in 1980 as I was a twinkle in his eye. None of my components require 110v &
This is all you need dude! I'm still using this exact setup that my dad passed down to me off a bench he built in 1980 as I was a twinkle in his eye. None of my components require 110v &

This is all you need dude! Perfectly posted! I'm still using this exact setup that my dad passed down to me off a bench he built in 1980 as I was a twinkle in his eye. None of my components require 110v & I reload hundreds of rounds a year.....if I reloaded thousands of rounds a year I might consider upgrading to the new ChargeMaster with Bluetooth but not yet....but I'm closed

When I first started I was standing in the isle at Scheels wondering what to do. A guy asked me if I was just starting to reload and he said best money he spent was on a charge master. I bought one that day and love it. Just do the straw trick and maybe fine tune the programing and your throwing very accurate charges. My .02

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.